DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN failure with SBT library - RMAN-10038: database session for channel c1 terminate

RMAN failure with SBT library - RMAN-10038: database session for channel c1 terminate

Hi, I am taking backup of database using RMAN with my SBT library. Sometimes backup fails with error

RMAN-10038: database session for channel c1 terminated unexpectedly.

I have checked sbtio.log file, alert files and trace files. There is no error in any of them. Adding more logging in sbtio.log is also not helping. This error does not happen always. Is there a way to run RMAN with gdb or does it produce core files anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dipathak; 09-06-2016 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dipathak View Post
    Hi, I am taking backup of database using RMAN with my SBT library. Sometimes backup fails with error

RMAN-10038: database session for channel c1 terminated unexpectedly.

I have checked sbtio.log file, alert files and trace files. There is no error in any of them. Adding more logging in sbtio.log is also not helping. This error does not happen always. Is there a way to run RMAN with gdb or does it produce core files anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi - first things first, exactly WHAT tape acess library/mml are you using, and in what version ?? The exact version of your RDBMS binaries is ? Some know issues exists with some combinations of this factors.... And Please, show to us your scripts/RMAN command files AND the results of a SHOW ALL connected in your RMAN environment...

Beside that :

=> if you are using external tape libraries (must be the case, probably) yhen as a rule, non-Oracle/thirdy-part tape libraries generates debug/log/trace information below their base directories, AND in many cases it must be forced - for example, netbackup MML libraries can generate logs in /installpath/netbackup/logs BUT normally you need to put on the bp.conf file the option VERBOSE=6...
    This kind of config VARIES for each third lib and/or verions, so you really NEED to consult your backup solution provider tech support

=> as a rule, you donĀ“t run Oracle-supplied tools against gdb to debug : instead, the majority of them accepts some way to activate built-in debug options. For RMAN, you would use the DEBUG=debuglevel parameter - see Oracle documentation for the allowed values/debug levels...

=> always use the LOG=nameofthelogfile option in RMAN, to be sure of not miss any output from RMAN

=> the main point here : RMAN runs from inside the database, so the RMAN executable connects to the db being backuped, creates a session and this session will access the RMAN API in that database : the message is very clear about this database session going away, so you will NEED to check with the DBA about session profiles, dead connections detection, sessions resource control and other possibilities that could be raising and taking away the RMAN database session...

Regards,

Chiappa