DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DB clone question

DB clone question

Hi All - I have a small dilemma that I'm not sure how to address...

I have a request to clone a db from prod to dev - easy enough with rman duplicate db... These are on separate hosts as well...

But, our daily rman incremental backups run at 3am and the developers need a copy of prod as of 9am the next day. And they want the dev instance to be available as close to 9am as possible...

So - I can clone a db no problem anytime up to the backup, but how do I get the additional transactions from the ensuing 6 hours into the dev instance?

Thanks... I've been looking into this for the last couple days and the additional transactions after the rman backup seems to be the problem.

you apply the archive logs from production

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by newdbasarah View Post
    ... and the developers need a copy of prod as of 9am the next day. And they want the dev instance to be available as close to 9am as possible...
    There is NOTHING I can think of that justifies the developers have daily updated data, unless this clone is actually a "reporting" database and not a Dev/Qa database.

1) Instead of cloning from a physical backup, you could clone using DUPLICATE over a network link.
    2) Or create logical standby.
    3) Or Create zero-data reporting database.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA View Post
    There is NOTHING I can think of that justifies the developers have daily updated data, unless this clone is actually a "reporting" database and not a Dev/Qa database.
    Agreed.
    This full refresh of the "development" database will kill all possible changes on backend code, new database objects as well as any changes to database objects. I do not think development team is re-applying all changes in a daily basis.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.