DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Memory Usage

Hi,
    I have an oracle instance on NT 4.0. Quite often when I try to run any other application on the NT (even DOS), I get the error 'running out of virtual memory'.

I have increase the virtual memory to over 250 MB.Still some times I get this error. I found that the oracle is using 120MB. Is there any way, I can ask oracle to use lesser memory.

Badrinath

Reduce the size of SGA which might help
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

MY SGA size is about 32MB. What will happen when I reduce the SGA size.
    Badrinath

Lightbulb

hi

what version of oarcle r u running .your sga seems to be okay
    .i think you should do this try removing all unnecessary services from your services applet .by the way whats ur real memory?it might happen that you are having to low real memory and hence oracle is paging and out the sga.in this case you should increase your real memory

regards
    hrishy

O/S problem

Dear Badri, 24th April 2001 10:38 hrs chennai

I discussed your problem with my System Administrator they told me its o/s problem.

Since you say opening a DOS also you get the problem its no way related with DB problem.

Go to

My Computers==>properties==>Performance==>Change==>
    (here you will find 2 text boxes named )initial size and Maximum size==>increase its value(Note if you set the values the sum shoud not be above the size available in the particular drive of o/s).==>then ckick set.

If its is win2000 after properties go through Advanced button and the rest you can catch up as above.

Cheers

Padmam

[Edited by padmam on 04-24-2001 at 01:45 AM]
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it