DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8i and Linux

I need to install 8i on Linux. Redhat 7.1 was suggested, but I read the docs and they require that I install several "packages" for backward compatibility to Redhat 6.2.

Has anyone put this combination together? What do I lose by installing these 6.2 compatibility packages? What else is unique about the 8i/Linux install?

Should I use Suse instead?

Thanks!

Cool

hi Kmesser

i have tried installing oracle 8.1.6 on redhat linux its a installers nightmare you may run into several problems doing it .

refer to this linuk for installing oracle 8i on linux7.1
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/l...eadme.Oracle8i

its seems like redhat is actually waitng for oracle to fix the bug for glibc libraries and oracle is waiting for redhat to fix the bug and we end up in circular loop.

suse is the one to try out as the kernel is already optimised for oracle...........and it is painless as compared to redhat7.1

if u wanna try 6.2 then it is also painless .to sum up if you have a choice between 6.2 7.1 and suse i will say 6.2 if choice is between 7.1 and suse definately its SUSE

regards
    hrishy

Thanks!

What do I lose by installing either of these options (Suse or RedHat 6.2), vs. RedHat 7.1?

No there si nothing to loose at all .yesterday i tried installing on both of them it works fine............

however on linux as general following products are not available wheather it is suse or redhat

a)Parallel server
    b)OEM

regards
    hrishy