DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: procedure builder

Hello peeps,

I am losing the will to live! below is the connect string for Procedure Builder....

PL/SQL> .CONNECT DB scott/tiger@t:net:base
    PDE-POC011 ORA-06401: NETCMN: invalid driver designator
    PDE-POC004 General OCI error. An error message with more detailed information is supplied.

why? and where does the error message with more detail live.

I have used sql/plus and connected successfully to prove I can get in.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Hm, which versions of Procedure Builder, database server and SQL*Net (or Net) you are using?

Your connect string is from the ancient times of SQL*Net version 1.*, which is not supported any more for a long time now. Obviously at least one of those three components does not recognise/support SQL*Net 1.*.

HTH,
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thanks for the help Jurij,

hmmmm I am posting from home now (UK) so don't have the system handy, but I know ver 7.3.4 Oracle and the Procedure Builder is for NT and is ver 1.5, The Net8 is 8.1.6 which rings a bell? but don't know about the SQL*Net.

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, Oracle 7.3.* was the first release that vas not SQL*Net version 1.* compatible any more, so you can't have listener that recognise the connect string you are using. I also realy doubt that you vere able to connect to the database with this connect string with SQL*Plus (I might be wrong here, but I realy don't think it is possible to use this form of connect string to conect to 7.3). In any case, find out what is in tnsnames.ora that your SQL*Plus uses, and what's in the one that Procedure builder uses.

BTW, having database 7.3.4 and Net8 8.1.6 realy doesn't make sence, unles you have another 8.1.6 database and one listener that listenes for both databases.

HTH,
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?