DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrade Oracle 8.1.5.0.0 to 8.1.6

Question

Hi,

I am considering upgrading the database from version 8.1.5.0.0 to version 8.1.6. However, I saw an alert in Oracle metalink mentioning that the upgrade from 815 to 816 is not stable and there is error. May i know has anyone done this before? any errors? Thank u! :)

Hi
    I have done this on solaris,I havent faced any problems on sun solaris
    Raghu

I was using 8.1.6.0 on hp and had to upgrade to 8.1.6.3 to get a fix for a bug with global temporary tables. In certain specific situations the database would crash. It only happened once though and we were on 8.1.6.0 for several months.

-John

Hi,

Thanks for ur replies! :) Realli appreciate them! Hm... but i would really like to know has anyone upgraded from 815 to 816 before? Any bugs or crash? Thanks!

Yes. If you are upgrading from 815 to 816, then be prepared for the following error when you start and SQL plus session:

ERROR:
    ORA-06553: PLS-908: The stored format of SYS.STANDARD is not supported by this
    release

Error accessing package DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO
    ERROR:
    ORA-06553: PLS-908: The stored format of SYS.STANDARD is not supported by this
    release

But don't worry, you can just run the RDBMS\ADMIN\U0801050.sql as an internal user and all your problems will be solved.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Hi,

1. Is it better to set a new ORACLE_HOME for the upgrade or do I have to uninstall the old version and use back the same path? What will be affected by the path?

2. Is it better to do the upgrade manually or use the database migration utility?

I am new to upgrading a database, therefor any comments or feedback will be good! :) Thanks!

Hi,
    1.Install it in new ORACLE_HOME
    2.When its doing installation it will detect the existing instances and will migrate one instance at that time of installation if you want with migration utility,u can do it with migration utility later.U can do the migration of other instances(if u have more than one) using migration utility.

Ensure u have full back up of the database both logical and physical.