DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DB_FILES & MAXDATAFILES

Angry

Dear Sir,
    I reach a error message as below,
    "ORA-1118 signalled during: ALTER TABLESPACE "IDX001" ADD DATAFILE '/data4/db/.."
    as I know, that is reach maximum number of database files

Whether increas parameter DB_FILES in init file for add new data file to database?
    what about parameters MAXDATAFILES when we create database?
    what relationship between DB_FILES & MAXDATAFILES?

Thanks!

[url]http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5469[/url]
    Reddy,Sam

DB_FILES: This specifies the maximum number of database files that can be opened for this database. This maximum valid value is the maximum number of files subjected to os constraint, that will ever be specified for the database, including the files to be added by ADD DATAFILE statment. IF you were to increase this parameter value you must shutdown and restart all instances accessing the database before the new value can take effect. This is almost the equialent of MAXDATAFILES. The way oracle had named it seems to differ from version to version. I presume V7 would have had the MAXDATAFILES and V8 would have had DB_FILES. So depending on your version run the following query to see what is beeing used

SELECT ksppinm, ksppdesc, ksppstvl
    FROM x$ksppi i,
    x$ksppcv v
    WHERE v.indx = i.indx
    ORDER BY ksppinm;

This would tell you all the parameters including the hidden ones and there you can see what to set.

Hope this would help you.
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Sorry, on my previous post I was wrong about the consideration of MAXDATAFILE. The link that had been provided by sreddy above would clearly state that it is the maximum number of files that can be stored in the control file. Now I could recall that this was normally specified during the database creation. But you could use the query, to find out all your init.ora parameter set up for your database. I thnk that your db_file count cannot exceed the maxdatafile specified during the database creation.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

[QUOTE=sambavan;29092] I thnk that your db_file count cannot exceed the maxdatafile specified during the database creation.

Sam[/QUOTE]

Hi Sambavan , I think this is wrong , As per the Oracle Administrative guide ,
    "When you issue CREATE DATABASE or CREATE CONTROLFILE statements, the
    MAXDATAFILES parameter specifies an initial size of the data file portion of thecontrol file. However, if you attempt to add a new file whose number is greater than MAXDATAFILES, but less than or equal to DB_FILES, the control file will expand automatically so that the data files section can accommodate more files."

Please note that this thread is SIXTEEN YEARS OLD.