DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter LOCAL_LISTENER

ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter LOCAL_LISTENER

Hi,

Let me start by saying, I'm not really a beginner at all this, but by no means an expert. I have Oracle 12c enterprise set up on a Oracle Enterprise Linux ver 7 box.
    This has always worked fine, start Linux, from a terminal window
    [oracle@oradev ~]$ sqlplus /nologSQL> conn SYS as SYSDBA
    Enter password: xxxxx
    startup
    lsnrctl start

All was well. I have this running on VMware® Workstation 12 Pro, 12.5.0 build-4352439. I recently updated VMware...now when I get to
    startup I get:
    SQL> startup
    ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter LOCAL_LISTENER
    ORA-00130: invalid listener address '(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=oradev.attlocal.net)(PORT=1522))'
    SQL>

Please advise?
    James
    Janning197@aol.com

I believe my host name in oracle Linux (which is on VM ware, so maybe is in VM ware setting, this all started after updating VM ware)
    is not the same, somehow is in my listener.ora ? It looks ok below to me, but as I said, I'm not expert level

-- listener.ora contests below

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = orcl)
    (ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1)
    (SID_NAME = orcl)
    )
    )
    LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oradev.attlocal.net)(PORT = 1522))
    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1522))
    )
    )

-- running hostnamectl in terminal

oracle@oradev ~]$ hostnamectl
    Static hostname: oradev
    Icon name: computer-vm
    Chassis: vm
    Machine ID: b78abe195ee04136a8e0d9b6fe0a0467
    Boot ID: 66dac5186f3c48c48985fd2de64dd6da
    Virtualization: vmware
    Operating System: Oracle Linux Server 7.2
    CPE OS Name: cpe:/oracle:linux:7:2:server
    Kernel: Linux 3.8.13-118.11.2.el7uek.x86_64
    Architecture: x86-64
    [oracle@oradev ~]$

Adding tnsping results: (all this and more can be seen at the below link)

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/orac...rtup/notes.txt

4 pings and results

tnsping oradev.attlocal.net

tnsping oradev.attlocal.net:1522

tnsping www.aanning.com

tnsping www.aanning.com:1522

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tnsping oradev.attlocal.net
    TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 25-SEP-2016 15:47:34
    Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.
    Used parameter files:
    C:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
    TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tnsping oradev.attlocal.net:1522
    TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 25-SEP-2016 15:50:09
    Used parameter files:
    TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tnsping www.aanning.com
    TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 25-SEP-2016 15:50:53
    Used parameter files:C:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
    Used EZCONNECT adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=104.9.97.20)(PORT=1521)))
    TNS-12535: TNSperation timed out

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tnsping www.aanning.com:1522
    TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 25-SEP-2016 15:54:25
    Used parameter files:
    Used EZCONNECT adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=104.9.97.20)(PORT=1522)))
    TNS-12535: TNSperation timed out

Hi - yes,the message "ORA-00130: invalid listener address" is very clear, the RDBMS was unable to validate the address compound by the combination hostname=oradev.attlocal.net and port=1522 : much probably when you updated the vmware software it changed the domain and/or the ip address and/or the hostname for the vm.... To not suffer from this anymore, the answer would be put a fixed IP on the vm, I think - I do not use vmware in my labs, so I am unable to guide you more precisely but http://superuser.com/questions/43398...f-using/531635 and http://www.doublecloud.org/2013/03/c...vmware-player/ give some indications : try to follow these refs, and ask in foruns more specialized in vmware, maybe https://communities.vmware.com/commu...eloper/forums/ ....

After that, when all is right on the vmware side, then you could adjust hostname and name resolution in Linux - this would involve settings in the /etc/sysconfig/network* and in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethNNN files, but I repeat, PLEASE first be sure to have all the things correct in vmware side...

Regards,

J. Laurindo Chiappa

I'm not able to find where or how VMware could have changed that hose name. keep in mind, I'm not a beginner but far from expert...if I were to "start from the top" so to speak, where all do I need to check from the oracle side to be sure this host name, is correct?

See, to "start from the top" first and most important you must ** proof ** that the host name can be resolved and the specified port can be reached from the OS side - the Oracle RDBMS is ** not ** an Administrator, it is just a CONSUMER for the network resources proveded by the hardware and the OS...

And another point : I saw that you made your tests (tnsping, etc) from the Windows host machine : as I said before, it´s common-place Windows firewall and/or antivirus issues blocking the access...
    But let´s see if the communication/setup INSIDE the linux vm is ok, and only later look for the communication between the windows host and the Linux vm...
    To do so, AFTER you checked ALL the necessary config on the vmware side (specially the point about host name resolution / conversion into IP address - as I said and the provided link shows, hostname per se remains, but For Sure the IP can change if a fixed IP is not provided).... Only you can say if You are using mechanisms such as DNS, NIS, or just a TCP/IP host file, like /etc/hosts .....
    When you are sure the OS/network/vmware configs are OK, go to the Linux command prompt, connected as the Oracle linux account :

ping oradev.attlocal.net
    traceroute oradev.attlocal.net

=> If both commands result OK, much probably the host name is being corretly converted / resolved, right... Now try to access the port 1522 doing :

telnet oradev.attlocal.net 1522

=> if a black screen appear all is right (and exit from there with Ctrl+C), but if any warning/error shows some access issue is present - maybe any kind of firewall/permission, IP conflict or others, the issue must be solved....

If all the OS tests result OK, now you will turn to the Oracle side - for this :

a) be sure that the sqlnet.ora , tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files in use are in the default location $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin , confirming that no TNS_ADMIN variable exists in your environment

b) in 12c´s LISTENER.ORA, normally the norm is connect by SERVICE_NAME, don´t know the reason for you to maintain the SID_LIST_LISTENER section on it

==> with all of this verified, first let´s check the status of the listener in the prompt :

lsnrctl status
    lsnrctl services

=> if no error is seen, at last try to tnsping with the alias, ie : if in your tnsnames.ora the entry is something like :

ORCL =
    (DESCRIPTION=........

try to do :

tnsping ORCL

and not the hostname, inform to tnsping the entry ename from tnsnames.ora....

====>>> IF all of this is done correctly/without error inside the linux VM, is proofed that your problem is on the Windows host side AND/OR in the wmware netwok config....

Regards,

J. Laurindo Chiappa

Hi,

I am now able to start the database with no error, using what I have been for the last 9 months, on the oracle Linux box term window:

sqlplus /nolog
    conn SYS as SYSDBA
    startup

ping is not working

[oracle@oradev ~]$ ping oradev.attlocal.net
    ping: unknown host oradev.attlocal.net

[oracle@oradev ~]$ more /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
    ::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

The current contents of all my .ora files and

[oracle@oradev ~]$ lsnrctl status
    [oracle@oradev ~]$ lsnrctl service

are at:

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/orac...otes_Or_sp.txt

------------error below when I start listener with -----------------

lsnrctl start

[oracle@oradev ~]$ lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 12.1.0.2.0 - Production on 02-OCT-2016 19:19:51

Copyright (c) 1991, 2014, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Starting /u01/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 12.1.0.2.0 - Production
    System parameter file is /u01/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/network/admin/listener.ora
    Log messages written to /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/oradev/listener/alert/log.xml
    Error listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=oradev.attlocal.net)(PORT=1522)))
    TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
    TNS-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error
    TNS-00515: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

Listener failed to start. See the error message(s) above...

[oracle@oradev ~]$

This show all :

[oracle@oradev ~]$ ping oradev.attlocal.net
    ping: unknown host oradev.attlocal.net

STOP HERE, no need to go to the Oracle layer, NO REASON to continue - OBVIOUSLY the OS is not giving to Oracle the correct resources...

To do another test, I suggest that you stop the listener, change the hostname portion in TNSNAMES.ORA, TNSNAMES.ORA (and SQLNET.ORA, if needed) putting localhost as the host name and try to start the listener ... If this works, you have a proof of network issue between the Windows host and the Linux VM, I think - in this case, I reccomend Again to follow the links that I provided and try to setup a fixed IP for the VM and adjust the network-related vmware configs...

After that, only then add a line in /etc/hosts relating the oradev.attlocal.net with the choosed fixed IP, to do the name resolution locally....

regards,

J. Laurindo Chiappa

hi,

I'd like to put the values in the host file first and try that (I don't need to make it static, I have the router assigning 192.168.1.122)
    I assume I only need to add the below line to the host?

Change the current:

to be

192.168.1.122 oradev.attlocal.net

As far as I know you will be able to connect from the server, but not externally.
    I that is what you want, then it should be ok. If you need to connect from other
    machines then you want to figure out the listener. There is nothing wrong with
    hard coding the IP address for this server.

What happens when you run "uname -a"? That should give you a server name
    that you can use in your listener.ora file. It could be that you just need to drop
    the domain part of the name