DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hate to be that guy but..

Hate to be that guy but..

Hi everyone, my name is Jack and I am new to the forums here. I have gone through and read through the "how to ask a question" thread a bit, and still find myself a bit confused on a few things:

Background:

After searching through this site as well as other DBA forums, I am still a bit unclear as to the specific approach to take with my education of some of these concepts. To elaborate, (and to provide some background about myself without turning this into an essay)... I'm 26, a helpdesk/Jr. Sys admin for a healthcare firm in the bay area and have no experience whatsoever in DB or SQL. I am FINALLY returning to school in Fall '15 to complete my BS in MIS and would like to start my journey into one day becoming an Oracle DBA. Today is day #1, I'm very excited and I just installed 11g2:

Question: I've read in some of these forums that the best starting point is to review the Oracle DB Documentation Database,specifically the "DBA essentials" section, which I have been. What about SQL? I know there are a few good websites with some awesome SQL beginner resources, but should I focus solely on Oracle DB before I move onto learning SQL?

I hate, hate HATE to be that guy that looks like he didn't use the search feature as I am member of some other forums and feel the pain, but I truly appreciate any feedback/guidance that any of you guru's may be able to provide.

Moderators: Please feel free to move this thread to wherever appropriate if it is indeed in the wrong place.

Cheers,
    Jack

Generally you need to start with the concepts manual. Also companies are going to start migrating
    to 12c which has significant differences. So you want to read that concepts manual as well.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/...112/e40540.pdf

If you can find a company in the area that offers third party management of databases,
    they probably hire entry level people. Which would give you a place to get experience.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for this critical info.

Lastly - Would you have any insight into it is a good idea to start learning SQL right away/in conjunction with 12c or is it a better idea to hold off on learning SQL until I have a good grasp on DB Concepts?

Thanks,
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jackbenimbo View Post
    Hi everyone, my name is Jack and I am new to the forums here. I have gone through and read through the "how to ask a question" thread a bit, and still find myself a bit confused on a few things:

Background:

After searching through this site as well as other DBA forums, I am still a bit unclear as to the specific approach to take with my education of some of these concepts. To elaborate, (and to provide some background about myself without turning this into an essay)... I'm 26, a helpdesk/Jr. Sys admin for a healthcare firm in the bay area and have no experience whatsoever in DB or SQL. I am FINALLY returning to school in Fall '15 to complete my BS in MIS and would like to start my journey into one day becoming an Oracle DBA. Today is day #1, I'm very excited and I just installed 11g2:

Question: I've read in some of these forums that the best starting point is to review the Oracle DB Documentation Database,specifically the "DBA essentials" section, which I have been. What about SQL? I know there are a few good websites with some awesome SQL beginner resources, but should I focus solely on Oracle DB before I move onto learning SQL?

I hate, hate HATE to be that guy that looks like he didn't use the search feature as I am member of some other forums and feel the pain, but I truly appreciate any feedback/guidance that any of you guru's may be able to provide.

Moderators: Please feel free to move this thread to wherever appropriate if it is indeed in the wrong place.

Cheers,
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jackbenimbo View Post
    Thank you very much for this critical info.

Lastly - Would you have any insight into it is a good idea to start learning SQL right away/in conjunction with 12c or is it a better idea to hold off on learning SQL until I have a good grasp on DB Concepts?

Thanks,
    Jack
    The SQL language is mostly the same. The architecture of the database is different with having container databases. You should definitely learn the SQL language.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolf989 View Post
    The SQL language is mostly the same. The architecture of the database is different with having container databases. You should definitely learn the SQL language.

Thanks so much for the information.

Without solid grasp of SQL language it would be really hard to understand Oracle implementation. I completely agree, first need to get fundamentals strong.