DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How Can I logon in my enterprise manager console?

How Can I logon in my enterprise manager console?

I had recently join new firm where another guy installed oracle 9i in it.

When i am try to login in oracle enterprise manger console to start new Database for my new project it is not appear anything when i click on enterprise manager console, even i am not able to login in SQL pllus with scott/tiger user id?

can please help me for that or do i need to reinstall oracle?

mintu

login as a sysdba user with sqlplus and start the database

Hi,

Why do you want to use Enterprise Manager console to startup a database? If the database is not started then you preferably connect as sysdba and from there initiate startup unless you are not able for some reason to startup from the command prompt. Taking the user Scott for startup won’t work.

I hope the “other guy” left you the password of the sys user or any user with sysdba rights as else you have a slight problem.

I assume that the sys user is also present in the EM. So you can try to use it to gain entrance.

In this case knowing the operating system is useful. Generally when Oracle is installed on Linux or Unix,
    you can authenticate as '/as sysdba', which does not require a password. You do need to be logged in
    as a member of the DBA group. Therefore, from an OS lever you would have sysdba privileges. If this
    is windows you might be able to recreate the password file and authenticate with the new password.

As I recall Enterprise Manager for 9i was a client server application based on Java. So you should be
    able to use that provided that the listener is running and that you know the password. Ideally you
    want to be able to manage the database with sqlplus though.

Hi,

Gandolf989 is right. It kind of slipped my mind that if you are a member of the DBA group you have sysdba privileges. Actually windows works in a similar way. For that you can open a DOS-window. The syntax used by DOS is slightly different from the one used by unix/linux. Normally during installation the ORACLE_HOME will be set correctly.

Just to be sure you can check by using ; echo %ORACLE_HOME%”. If it is not set yet then you can use: set ORACLE_HOME=[path of ORACLE_HOME]. Same you can do with the ORACLE_SID. After that you can use the same syntax as in unix/linux for logging on with sqlplus as sysdba.

EM is a nice and helpful tool which I also use but in essence to start or fine-tune my databases I prefer to use sqlplus.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ora_venlo View Post
    Hi,
    . . . set ORACLE_HOME=[path of ORACLE_HOME]. Same you can do with the ORACLE_SID. After that you can use the same syntax as in unix/linux for logging on with sqlplus as sysdba.
    . . .
    You also must add the location of oracle binaries to the PATH variable:
    Code:
    SET PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
    If you have problems with sysdba login, then you may need to add a password file (for example if ORACLE_SID=ORCL) then:
    Code:
    cd %ORACLE_HOME%\database
    orapwd file=orapwORCL password=mypasswd
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA View Post
    You also must add the location of oracle binaries to the PATH variable:
    Code:
    SET PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
    If you have problems with sysdba login, then you may need to add a password file (for example if ORACLE_SID=ORCL) then:
    Code:
    cd %ORACLE_HOME%\database
    orapwd file=orapwORCL password=mypasswd

If you are logging in locally at the DOS-prompt and all settings are done then you don’t need a password file for sysdba. However if in future you are willing to use EM or other remote logging on to the database with SYS then you are going to need that file. Should you still have problems then login locally as sysdba and check if the parameter remote_login_passwordfile = EXCLSUSIVE. If not, change the parameter to that value with SCOPE=spfile and restart the database. If there are still problems then login locally and make sure that your password is the right one by “alter user sys identified by syspassword”. Then check if it is working remotely.