DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to clone Oracle 9i on windows.

How to clone Oracle 9i on windows.

Hi all,

I am new to this, can any one please send me the cloning process of oracle 9i on windows 2003 please.

I need to create test database instance on same server as the production.

Thanks
    Paresh

What's your backup/recovery strategy? is it cold or hot backup based?
    Is it RMAN or conventional scripts based?
    How big is the database?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi,

I do not have RMAN on that server. but I can do with cold backup!! I tried with DBCA but it crashes because the database is bigger than 2 G. Also the database size is about 20 G together.

Thanks
    Paresh

Cold backup is certainly a possibility - lots of documentation on the web about how to do it. Basically copy everything, edit control file to set new dbname and startup.

Being a small 20 Gig database an alternative would be to pre-create test database with the same tablespace layout then exp full=yes from production and imp full=yes into test.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.