DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 11G - Stalled Accessing DB_LINK

Oracle 11G - Stalled Accessing DB_LINK

All,

I have a newly created Oracle 11G (11.1.0.6) running on a Development Windows (XP) machine. This incorporates a number of Database Links to remote Oracle Databases ranging from 9.0.1 up to 10.2.0.2, hosting on HP-UX servers. These are a mixture of both 'Enterprise' and 'Standard Edition'.

Accessing data is perfectly fine for ALL database links, with the exception of a link to a 10.1.0.2 Database (Standard Edition).

I can perform a "select sysdate from dual@link", and this returns fine.

However, the moment I try and return any data from core tables, be it delimited rows (select * from table where rownum<11), or a simple 'count(*)' operation - the operation just "hangs".

I can see the SELECT in the remote database, and this appears to be running - and indeed can be seen to populate views such as V$session_longops.

On completion, the session just sits there, yet on the initiating database - the session there appears to be waiting on more data from db link. It can sit there forever and a day, never returning anything..... In fact, in some instances, it appears on the remote database that the database link has even been closed...

I can run the same operations in a 10.2.0.2 database connecting across the same link, from the same network, and these queries return in around 5-10 seconds.

I'm at a loss as to what could be going on here.

Has anyone else encountered such strange quirks with an 11G database connecting to older versions?

This just seems silly.

Best regards,

- Tony.

Hi All,

After investigation and comments from Oracle Support, this issue can only be related to inter-operability issues between differing Oracle versions.

Never had to look into this before, as I've either had semi-recent versions or I've not had inter-connectivity requirements.

Best regards,

- Tony.