DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Should I Do Oracle Training

Should I Do Oracle Training

What Are the benefits of oracle training should i do that.

Your signature states you do Oracle DBA Support and Oracle Database Consultancy.

Don't you think Oracle training would allow you to do a better job?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

IMO and in my past experiences, these 5 day training are only good if you need to deploy a technology quickly. The training can get you up and running fast. But as far as becoming an expert in the technology or if you plan to get certified in the technolgy, you might as well save your training money. Find a good book on the technology and self-study. You know everything you need to know to not only deploy it, but also pass the exam. These 5 day training course barely scratches the surface. I've taken training fom Oracle, Sun, and Microsoft ... and all are seemingly the same.

I'm somehow in agreement with previous poster but -always a but, huh?

I think on training courses as Sightseeing buses. You get to a City you don't know so you get into a Sightseeing bus which gives you the opportunity to take a look at what the city has to offer to you. When tour is over you are free to investigate whatever you want, at least you know where to go.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

That's a good analogy.

For me though ... I've never taken a training course because I wanted to "see town and see what it's got to offer".

Usually, I'm tasked to run and operate the town.
    While a tour would give me a good preview ... the case usually is for that I need to know ever nook and cranny of the place (no matter what) ... after all ... I need to know this if I'm to operate it through and through.

So I might as well jump right into the thick books and get it over with. And when I do that ... I immediate follow it up with a certification exams. It's a good way for me to say I am qualified to run the system (granted book-smart doesn't mean an expert), but still... it's one quantifiable way to judge qualification.

But if I do have the luxury of time and money ... I'd would do a training course any day ... especially if it means adding mileage to my mileage plan! =)

I can see this going on foverver -specially because we are not in disagreement.

Having into consideration reading a book is considered auto paced training; going back to poster's original question "Should I do Oracle training?" I suppose your answer would be: Yes. Is my assumption correct?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

My opinion…If company sponsors I will take. It is bit difficult for me to spend from my pocket.

But if you are beginner you required training to start building the foundation.
    To learn a technology, I think attending training will be much faster than reading documents.
    But always read documents, article and practice it.
    But if you choose Oracle documentation, you will not finish even after you reach 90 years old.