DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle RAC on SUSE SLES 10/NetApp NAS

Exclamation Oracle RAC on SUSE SLES 10/NetApp NAS

Dear DBA Support,

We are in the process of evaluating Oracle RAC. At the moment, we have following steup:

Oracle 10202 Database
    SUSE SLES 10 SR1 X84-64bit
    Storage: NetApp NAS

While going thru the Oracle RAC documentation, we have found that the RAC configuration works on RAW devices.

Under NetApp NAS world, this is how we do.
    Disks will be grouped into Aggregates and Aggregates can be assigned to Volumes. These volumes will be presented to hosts.

Can we use these volumes as raw devices for RAC configuration?

Please let me know what is the best way to configure RAC in my scenario using the current architecture?

Thank you,
    Nikee
    -Nikee

RAC does not need raw devices

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle manual
    Although you can specify a logical volume as a device in an ASM disk group, Oracle does not recommend their use. Because logical volume managers can hide the physical disk architecture, ASM may not operate effectively when logical volumes are specified as disk group devices.

Use logical volumes as normal file-system.

PS: Raw devices are "managed" using ASM.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Hello all,

Thank you for valuable inputs.

If I use the logical volumes, then how can we share the same file system between 2 different systems...???

Usually in Cluster world say (HP-UX), while mounting on one system, we mount using "EXCLUSIVE" option. So that, one system can own at a time and can aviod file damage.

What about in RAC scenario?

Thank you,
    Nikee
    -Nikee

Cool

You can mount same NAS storage on any number of servers.

Last edited by LKBrwn_DBA; 05-12-2008 at 05:59 PM.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Dear Support,

As you said, we can mount to n number of servers at the same time...But I heard from HP support guys that, mounting the same file system to different systems may cause the file damage due to different writing sequence. Due to this reason...especially in configuring the cluster, they set Exclusive for file system while mounting...

Sorry.. I am not saying you are wrong..Just wanted to make sure my concepts..

Thank you,
    Nikee
    -Nikee

Hi

For the volumes to be mounted on both the system and not be corrupted you either need RAW or special type of file system called cluster filesystem like Veritas Cluster Filessytem or ASM .

HP Folks are right but with a veritas clusteraware filesystem you can mount the disks on both the nodes.

http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3592.pdf

have a look at that site

regards
    Hrishy

Hi

Since you are using NetApp you can use NFS, if you dont like NFS you need to use ASM

Regards

--
    LSC