DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrade from Database 9i to 10g on Linux

Upgrade from Database 9i to 10g on Linux

Hello,

I am supposed to upgrade a 9i database to 10g on Linux x86 on 32bits.

Things to know:
    - I want to preserve old installation. On 9i some very good DBA (not like me) installed the database and there are many scripts which automate things like backup
    - I don't need to upgrade the old database, I will create a new schema in 10g with new data

My problems:
    1) should I use the same user for installation? (install more Oracle homes) or use different users?
    2) which tool would you recommend for this 10g installation?
    3) I know that before the installation I could at least change the $ORACLE_HOME to point to another folder. Question is if this is enough or I should change also other variables? There is also a oraRepository folder in $ORACLE_BASE.
    4) on the existing oracle user there are a few environment variables used by oracle. How many of these should I keep to run the Oracle 10g installation?
    Existing variables in 9i are:
    CLASSPATH=/oracle/ora920/JRE:/oracle/ora920/jlib:/oracle/ora920/rdbms/jlib:/oracle/ora920/network/jlib
    HISTFILE=/home/oracle/.bash_history
    HOME=/home/oracle
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/ora920/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
    LOGNAME=oracle
    MAIL=/var/spool/mail/oracle
    ORACLE_BASE=/oracle
    ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/ora920
    ORACLE_SID=bltmdemo
    ORACLE_TERM=xterm
    ORA_NLS33=/oracle/ora920/ocommon/nls/admin/data
    PATH=/oracle/ora920/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/oracle/ora920/bin
    PWD=/home/oracle
    USER=oracle

Thanks alot (as a novice),
    Alex

You should create the new Oracle home using the same oracle user. You should make sure that your databases are listed in the /var/opt/oracle/oratab file and have a script that sets the Oracle home based on which database you need to work with. If you aren't migrating the data, then the 9i database isn't relevant, this is a new install. You might want to read more about database administration on Linux. There is some information on tahiti.oracle.com.

In our environment we have a single script that sets the oracle environment based on the oratab, and every shell script that we use references that script to set the environment. So if I kick off a hot backup I specify the sidname and the rest can be deduced from the oratab. This leaves very little hard coding of stuff in the shell scripts.

on Linux the oratab is under /etc - the script to set the environment is oraenv