DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solaris versus NT

Lightbulb

my management is considering (against the dba's will) to move the existing Enterprise Oracle databases from Solaris to NT.

I need any support ie. urls, benchmarks, testimonies, or general tidbits of knowledge that some of you experienced dba's that run enterprise applications on Oracle have about making a decision to move my database to NT.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

By sticking with Solaris, I'm trying to save the performance of Oracle Applications for 70 users in over 40 different locations campus wide.

I'm at the point in this battle that I need hard facts (an adhoc survey if you must ) to present in an upcoming meeting

So here it goes.

1. How many users does your database serve: ( )
    2. Which platform would you install 11i -- Solaris ( ) NT( )
    3. Years of experience as a DBA ( )

*** reply in thread, or cut and paste, sending an e-mail to amcclenn@city.virginia-beach.va.us ***

thanks for your help, any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited by blurry on 01-12-2001 at 07:12 PM]

1. Update resume
    2. Post resume on hotjobs.com
    3. Give 2 weeks notice...
    Jeff Hunter

Your management didn't realize potentials downtime, performance due to NT instabilities. NT is only good for a small development or prototype environment, all production should be on Sun. Are they prepare to reboot NT servers regularly and put up with slower response? Any any rate, NT will make you job much harder especially if you are a Unix guy not NT. It's much hard to diagnose on NT. Update your resume might be a good idea. It is sad to deal with management who doesn't understand or don't care about technology and try to play their own politics.
    goodhealth

One of our company´s NT Server just died a couple of days ago without anyone doing absolutely anything to it, the server had a whole division´s development database. We have another development database in HP-UX, I think the last time we had to reboot it was about 8 months ago because we updated some OS patch and it´s still strong after 4 years of continuos work in that machine, I have my doubts if NT could achieve the same availability.

this url may be give some unix vs NT issues

[url]http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/[/url]

I would think that the partnership between Oracle and Sun, along with Larry Ellison's personal rivalry against Bill Gates is enough to tip anybody off that Oracle will work better with Sun(or Unix OS in general) than with any Microsoft products.

I believe Oracle's website has testimonials on their partnership with Sun.

There is no comparison between NT and Sun. But NT guys think NT is the greatest future for the human being.

you can tell your mgr - how much you pay, how much you get. if they want cut their budget to save money they will suffer what they cut.

Hi, thanks for the responses. It will help my assembling of data to convince our department to leave Oracle on a Solaris platform.

In our organization we have a core group of Oracle technical and functional people that want to stay on the unix platform. We have two higher level managers that want to convert to NT.

I understand that Oracle for NT may be good for smaller, non-enterprise applications. But this project is mission critical, with a user base that could reach 100 users located at 40 to 50 different sites.

*** this post edited to take the survey to the top of the thread, i really need those surveys ***

[Edited by blurry on 01-12-2001 at 07:10 PM]

1. How many users does your database serve: (70+)
    2. Which platform would you install 11i -- Solaris (X) NT( )
    3. Years of experience as a DBA (1)

1. How many users does your database serve: (300-500)
    2. Which platform would you install 11i -- Solaris (X) NT( )
    3. Years of experience as a DBA (6)
    Jeff Hunter

It is not that NT is worst or things like that.
    Sure for all major ,high critical ,24 * 7 jobs SUN is for sure.

I have worked with medium scale application with oracle ,oracle fail safe and SIEBEL itself ON NT ENTERPRIISE edition.I will not say that it was bad .we gave 98 % uptime.
    the reason for the 2% downtime was various reasons like hardware failure ,memory upgrations etc.. and for sure two or three times NT problem also

One guy in the group was trying to do test and i asked him why he is risking his name.

He simply told that if anything happens he wikk tell that as NT problem .And it is NT bug.And damn anyguy on the world will simply belive.

It all depend only on the application, nature of the business etc to decide upon the OS.

NT is not that bad as you guys think...Might be you would not had a good NT system administor to work with..
    Radhakrishnan.M