DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I have a question about sqlldr:

Do you have to specify every field on the table that you are loading? If you set column defaults in the table and you don't specify them in the sqlldr control file will that work?
    We have a file that only has info for about half of the columns in the table we are loading. So what we want to do is load those fields and default the other columns to NULL. The problem that we are having is that sqlldr doesn't like the fact that not all of the columns are specified. Any help would be appreciated.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lesstjm [/i]
    [B]Do you have to specify every field on the table that you are loading? If you set column defaults in the table and you don't specify them in the sqlldr control file will that work?
    We have a file that only has info for about half of the columns in the table we are loading. So what we want to do is load those fields and default the other columns to NULL. The problem that we are having is that sqlldr doesn't like the fact that not all of the columns are specified. Any help would be appreciated. [/B][/QUOTE]

No, you don't have to specify all columns of the table in control file at all. Could you tell us what error messages do you get during load? If column is not specified in the controlfile it will be NULL in a table. If you've set default value for that column it'll get the default. Of course, if the column is NOT null then it has to get some non-null value one way or another.

Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?