DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help needed for BEFORE DELETE Trigger

Post Help needed for BEFORE DELETE Trigger

Here is the scenario:

I have a web application. Users need to login to access this application. Oracle 10g is the back end database for this application.

Application User -> Joe
    Database schema owner -> focal_prod

Joe logged into the web application and trying to delete an employee from EMP table. I need to audit this action and create a record in EMP_AUDIT table. I need to keep Joe (application user) name in this record under DELETED_BY column. How do I pass Joe name to the database trigger?

Thanks in advance,
    Rao

here is a tip...
    Code:
    select user from dual;
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Your SQL statement will give focal_prod. I would like to get Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rchenna
    Your SQL statement will give focal_prod. I would like to get Joe
    huh?

It returns the current user --e.g. Oracle account used to log into the database.

If all your users are login in into the database using a generic account like focal_prod... you might be in troubles, that's bad, veeeery bad mojo.

On the other hand, if your application is handling login I would assume the application is validating such a username against a table, all you have to do is capture the app username and move it along. I know, a little more complicated but as I said "you might be in troubles".
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Your comment
    --
    all you have to do is capture the app username and move it along.
    --
    This is what I am unable to implement. How to I pass this app username to database trigger?

Can't you just create an Oracle account matching each Application account and let the each user connect to the database using that account instead of relying in a generic account?

Generic accounts look like a great and easy solution until you get serious about security or auditing.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

you could resolve it using a context, just that before you start doing anything you have to set the context for your session so you can reference it during the session

Code:
    create table myuser (username varchar2(30));

insert into myuser values ('LSC');

create or replace package app_sec_pkg
    is
    procedure set_app_user;
    end;
    /

create or replace package body app_sec_pkg
    is
    	procedure set_app_user
    	is
    		l_username	myuser.username%type;
    	begin
    		select	username
    		into	l_username
    		from	myuser
    		where	username = sys_context('USERENV', 'SESSION_USER');
    		dbms_session.set_context('APPENV_CTX', 'APPUSER', l_username);
    	end set_app_user;
    end;
    /

create context appenv_ctx using app_sec_pkg;

connect lsc/scott
    exec app_sec_pkg.set_app_user

select  sys_context('APPENV_CTX', 'APPUSER') from dual;

SYS_CONTEXT('APPENV_CTX','APPUSER')
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LSC
    myuser would be your security table

sys_context('USERENV', 'SESSION_USER') should be changed but for the sake of an example I have used it as such. In your case username should be supplied by your application, but the idea is to use a context and set attributes such as APPUSER and you can refer to it during your sessions by using sys_context('APPENV_CTX', 'APPUSER') calls in your trigger for example
    Last edited by pando; 03-01-2008 at 08:45 PM.