DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: database availability-

database availability-

hi,

i am in a development shop. when we do our homegrown application release, we have to put our database in exclusive mode and restrict the user from accessing it (10gR2- single instance)

I want to implement a solution such we are making changes (ddl/dml) in our database objects, application remain available for users and we dont have to restrict it from accessing. this is oltp environment and availability is important.

I'm thinking to have two databases - in sync and open at the same time. when we make our change in one production database other database gets updated and the other database that users are using gets updated - it propogate change in production (database for internal purpose)

is there a way we can implement such solution.

by the way which database you are using currently...
    "Every morning I check Forbes 40 richest Indians
    list , if i'm not there I go to work."

poster already provided that piece of information, read the post!
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

logical standbys, but your requirement is nigh on impossible in practicle terms.

streams

active standby

Thanks for sharing your thougts.

Logical Standby is not an option - we maintain un-supported datatypes.
    In physical Standby - one database always remain in mount phase (not open) so user wont be able to use that when we will be doing updates (dml/ddl) on open instance. so this seems also im-practical.

Streams: i was considering that option but streams is kind of complicated solutions and difficult to implement. Plus it does not gurantee 100% up-time. at some point in time you have to put db down. I also asked Tom Kyte the same option but he didn't recommend this option.

I'm wondring if i am the only one want to implement this solution. How we can achieve 100% availability while doing app releases. what is general practice on it ...

think 11g might help you here if you wanna get to that, has some sort of versioning I believe

Quote Originally Posted by 4dba
    what is general practice on it ...
    We have a monthly maintenance window during what we call the "black hours"; a stretch of time where we have almost no activity hitting the database. In our case it happens on Sunday from 9am - 11am Samoa time.

During such maintenance window we shutdown listeners, kill any remaining user session and do whatever we have to do.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    think 11g might help you here if you wanna get to that, has some sort of versioning I believe
    could be a solution but not for me!

i am on solaris 64 bit and 11g is not yet out for this plateform... is it not possible within 10g