DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Login too slow, sometimes..

Login too slow, sometimes..

Hi all,

am posting here after a long time, I hope everybody is enjoying life here as much as I am and I also hope that I find some old timers here.

well, I am facing an intermittent problem of slow login from past two three days. There are two hpux boxes (with emc san) hosting Oracle apps 9i.

This happens intermittently and it takes about 8-10 mins to login to apps or even db directly (only sys with sysdba works ).There are no error msgs in listener during this period and statspack reports do not present anything unusual. The only thing that is evident is the processor response.
    When the problem is present, cpu utilization is almost zero(cpu idle 95-97%)

How to investigate further to find the root cause ? Is it that the db is going into a hang state(did not run a hanganalyze uptill now), or is there a problem in the os ?
    Any help on this issue will be highly appreciated
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA

are you experiencing the same behavior either login in from a client or login in directly on the box?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

yes

Oracle DBA

were there any security changes at the server/firewall level? We had a recent issue where a security patch caused an attempted reverse lookup to determine if the client was permitted access. Due to firewall restrictions, it couldn't do the lookup and would eventually timeout. Then it would do the connection anyway (so what is the point to the reverse lookup, right?) Look for changes at that level.

Is there any listener verification of client ip's?

How about creating a logon trigger to set a level 12 trace on the sessions logginig in? That way you should be able to see any bottlenecks happening in the DB

Quote Originally Posted by dbtoo
    were there any security changes at the server/firewall level? We had a recent issue where a security patch caused an attempted reverse lookup to determine if the client was permitted access. Due to firewall restrictions, it couldn't do the lookup and would eventually timeout. Then it would do the connection anyway (so what is the point to the reverse lookup, right?) Look for changes at that level.

Is there any listener verification of client ip's?
    No firewall/security change was made, neither there is any listener verification.The only change that took place was addition of two log groups.
    Strangely, the problem is not coming at all now.

Oracle DBA

How about creating a logon trigger to set a level 12 trace on the sessions logginig in? That way you should be able to see any bottlenecks happening in the DB
    That is a good idea, but i am wondering on the disadvantages of a logon trigger.

Oracle DBA

Quote Originally Posted by simply_dba
    That is a good idea, but i am wondering on the disadvantages of a logon trigger.
    Could you elaborate please? or is this just another one of your random postings?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    Could you elaborate please? or is this just another one of your random postings?
    elaborate on what ? creating logon trigger, setting trace or disadvantages of triggers?

Oracle DBA

I see, your post is not even clear to you

Let me help you...

Quote Originally Posted by simply_dba
    i am wondering on the disadvantages of a logon trigger
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov