DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conection failure

Conection failure

I am getting the following error when effecting consultations saw database link :
    SQL> select sysdate from dual@grp3;
    select sysdate from dual@grp3
    ERRO na linha 1:
    ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

SQL> select sysdate from dual@grp3;

SYSDATE
    --------
    25/07/07

SQL>

I made the two consultations with difference of some seconds. Somebody has a tip?
    Márcio de Souza Almeida
    DBA Oracle / SQLServer / PostgreSQL
    Rua Cupa, 139 Apto 85 A
    Penha - São Paulo - SP
    03640-000 - Brasil
    http://www.directory.com.br

Cause: The address specified is not valid, or the program being connected to does not exist.

Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly; the most likely incorrect parameter is the node name. Ensure that the executable for the server exists (perhaps "oracle" is missing.) If the protocol is TCP/IP, edit the TNSNAMES.ORA file to change the host name to a numeric IP address and try again.

most likely a connectivity issue
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by liakat

Cause: The address specified is not valid, or the program being connected to does not exist.

Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly; the most likely incorrect parameter is the node name. Ensure that the executable for the server exists (perhaps "oracle" is missing.) If the protocol is TCP/IP, edit the TNSNAMES.ORA file to change the host name to a numeric IP address and try again.
    http://ora-12545.ora-code.com my first search
    If it fails on the first time but it functions immediately afterwards then the problem is another one.
    Márcio de Souza Almeida
    Rua Cupa, 139 Apto 85 A
    Penha - São Paulo - SP
    03640-000 - Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    most likely a connectivity issue
    me it seems intermitency problem
    Márcio de Souza Almeida
    Rua Cupa, 139 Apto 85 A
    Penha - São Paulo - SP
    03640-000 - Brasil

What kind of connectivity do you have in between local and remote databases?

Open two O/S sessions in the box where your local database is running; on the first one initiate a ping of the remote box, on the other one tnsping the target database a bunch of times. What do you see?

Just in case check in local database box your TNSNAMES entry for remote database, if you see a Host Name for remote box replace it by actual TCP/IP address then, test again.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

My TNSNAMES.ora is IP address no host name
    Márcio de Souza Almeida
    Rua Cupa, 139 Apto 85 A
    Penha - São Paulo - SP
    03640-000 - Brasil

Seems something got wrong with the connection, but that was temporary issue. If it does not happens again, I would not bother

I am with the RedHat Linux AS in both the servers. In alert it appears the following error:
    Thu Jul 26 02:00:06 2007
    Errors in file /xxx/10.2.0/db/admin/xxx/bdump/xxx_j000_31024.trc:
    ORA-12012: error on auto execute of job 43
    ORA-20000: erro: ORA-20000: Erro: ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
    Márcio de Souza Almeida
    Rua Cupa, 139 Apto 85 A
    Penha - São Paulo - SP
    03640-000 - Brasil

you have to answer my questions yet... patience is growing thin
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov