DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: role/functions of oracle developer

Arrow

Can any one please tell me what the role/functions of an ORACLE DEVELOPER is compared to an oracle DBA?

still learning,
    learn

Smile

Hi,

U can not compare an Oracle developer and Oracle DBA. Both these rolls are totally different. When DBA gives some grants then and then a developer can access to that object. Otherwise its not possible for a developer to access even a single table or a single select query.

So the DBA is inchargr of the database.

I mean, I need to know the exac functions(duties) of an Oracle developer

er Developer is a programmer, codes applications

Let's try a basic list that others can expand upon or contradict. We will group the responsibilities into roles. It will depend upon your organization as to how the roles are assigned to individuals.

Database Designer (DD)
    -- Designs a database for an application

System Administrator (SA)
    -- Resposible for the hardware and OS on which the database will run.

Database Administrator (DBA):
    -- Responsible for creating the instance for the database
    -- Implements the data model on that instance. May simply implement the DD's reccomendations.
    -- Often responsible for all the phsyical attributes of the model (tablespaces, extents, etc.). May simply implement the DD's reccomendations.
    -- Often responsible for the performance of the database. However, truly tuning a database is impossible without tuning the SQL (DP) and/or the model (DD) as well. But there is still much that can be done here - especially in Oracle.
    -- Responsible for backups/restores

Database Programmer (DP)
    -- Writes all the SQL and/or PL/SQL for the database.
    -- Responsible for the optimization of said code.

It is my opinion that the DBA is a vanishing breed. If you take any note of SQLServer, you will see that there stated goal for SQL7 was 100 servers being admin'd by a single DBA - the job should be *that* easy. Oracle seems to strive to keep the administration functions as overly-complicated as possible, however, ensuring the livelihood of many an Oracle DBA for years to come. Just my take on things :). I fully expect to get flamed for that remark. ;)

- Chris

DBA's a vanishing breed ???

That's like saying that the internet is a passing fancy
    like hula-hoops or Monica Lewinsky.

I guess I tend to agree with Chris. The information I have so far read on Oracle 9i, and futures, indicates a move by Oracle to increase the automation of performance/tuning, monitoring, etc.
    There will always be a need for experts in this field, and of course for people perform backup and recovery, but I can see the day, perhaps in a few years, when fewer DBA's will be needed.
    Can also see it becoming more of a rote job, especially if the automation of performance/tuning, etc. becomes optimized. This would, in my opinion, cause a decrease in the number of DBA's as they move on to other, more interesting, tasks.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
    Jan
    Jan

May be vanishing but I guess still long way to go, I meant there are people spending so many years just going on about with tuning issue I doubt it very much Oracle 9i will do a miracle and tune itself as well as SQL Server does.

One thing about SQL Server is that it only runs on NT and tightly integrated with NT and may be that´s one reason that it auto tunes itself so well (or NOT so well?), imagine SQL Server running on UNIX, VMS wouldnt that be a nightmare?

Nevertheless I have always being told that a good DBA does not only know about administration but also database design and some programming, isnt this true? And many data architects were DBAs before getting involved in Application design.

Vanishing for the internet market. There are the sites where databases are no bigger than 2 Go. Theses companies even not have a dba for care this. The most of the databases are MS sql, and again no DBA for theses db. All db can be accessed with sa user and no password. Belive me, I have seen lots of company like that with transactional databases with records like credit card number and no password for admin.

But there are also companies(assurances companies) who run on Oracle7 warehouses with policies on force until 2050 year. I tell you, this warehouse will not move before 2050. So you must know that a future dba oracle 20i had nothing to do with oracle7. So you will get paid more like a CICS programmer today.

How many DBA's are there out there who have Oracle skills in no other area of Oracle ?
    Invariably, DBA's get asked to perform all sorts of Database Design, Application Design, general operating system support, and even development - PLSQL programming, Data Warehousing, etc etc.
    Even if the Oracle Database lands up tuning/maintaining itself "PERFECTLY" in the future (highly unlikely), DBA's will always have the skill base to stay employed, and highly paid.

That is, of course, as long as Oracle exists ?