DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shared disk, NAS, Cluster

shared disk, NAS, Cluster

Hi guys,

Can someone help me on getting my head around the concept of shared disk in clustering environment!

First of all I know what RAID and file server are...

Q: when we say we have oracle RAC accessing shared disk like veritas, does this mean shared disk is physically attached to one of the oracle servers or any other box like a file server on the network? If yes then will oracle instance be consuming the CPU & Memory of that server every time it writes or read data from files on the shared disk?
    What is direct read write?

The main question is: its possible for the sever hosting shared disk to be a bottleneck? And how can we cluster more than one OS to host the shared disk?

thanks

can a hard disk/shared disk be phisycally connected & managed by more than one OS ?

Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by khoshtip_uk
    can a hard disk/shared disk be phisycally connected & managed by more than one OS ?
    Yes it can be done.Both the OS'es should be same for example windows or both o them being linux (additinally of the same version and the same patch level) needs additional help which is available in terms of clusterware.

The file system on the harddisk would be a special file system one example being the GFS

http://www.redhat.com/software/rha/gfs/

Note
    Your question is not very clear to me .
    By any chance are you asking us about NAS/SAN ?

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 04-30-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Q: when we say we have oracle RAC accessing shared disk like veritas, does this mean shared disk is physically attached to one of the oracle servers or any other box like a file server on the network? If yes then will oracle instance be consuming the CPU & Memory of that server every time it writes or read data from files on the shared disk?
    What is direct read write?

Most of the time the shared disk is attached to a shared storage box either a SAN/NAS .Fileserver these days use NAS and oracle works hapily with NAS also you might want to visit www.netapp.com for more on this.

Yes oracle will be consuming memory when it reads and writes but the final write operation would be carried out by the storage OS that actually houses and mouths the storage i.e hard disks

The main question is: its possible for the sever hosting shared disk to be a bottleneck? And how can we cluster more than one OS to host the shared disk?

Yes the answer lies in the clustering software oracel provides its own clusterware utility which is free or you can always buy them from companies like veritas.

thanks