DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Redo log problem

Online Redo log problem

Hi all,

We restored a db from a coldbackup, however we forgot to create one of the directories on the server for the online redo log groups. The db started up fine as everything else was created fine. However in the alert log we see ORA-00313pen failed for members of log group 3 of thread 1 along with ORA-00312,ORA-27041. This is obviously because the directory and the logs are not there. As i said the db is fine all the other onlne redo logs are available howbever how do i get rid of the error as i cannot delete or rename what is not there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chucks

Just noticed that the redo logs are multiplexed i.e log1a and log1b have the same seq# altough log1a is missing. Hence, can i jus copy and rename log1b to log1a to move it to log1a destination?

Many thanks!

1) Add a new member to the group with the failing one (on separate disk ... etc.)
    alter database add logfile member 'path and name' to group GroupNo
    2) Drop the one that makes troubles
    ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE MEMBER 'the path and the name of the member to drop'

See here for details
    http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/c....htm#sthref946

Regards
    Boris
    Last edited by Bore; 04-16-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Hi Bore thanks for that

However the redo log Oracle is complaining about is not there on disk. Hence dropping something that is not there will be fail?

Not really.
    Drop in this case measn only control file change. If you look at the documentation, you will notice that it says that dro logfile member updates only the controlfile and removing the file from the file system is a DBA responcibility so I'm pretty sure that will work

Good luck

"When a redo log group is dropped from the database, and you are not using the Oracle-managed files feature, the operating system files are not deleted from disk. Rather, the control files of the associated database are updated to drop the members of the group from the database structure. After dropping a redo log group, make sure that the drop completed successfully, and then use the appropriate operating system command to delete the dropped redo log files."

Bore, thanks for that.

That is what i thought as well but when i did that i got:

SQL> alter database drop logfile 'f:\oracle\oradata\sid\redo01a.log'
    ERROR at line 1
    ORA-01514: error in log specification: no such log
    ORA-01517: log member: 'f:\\oracle\oradata\sid\redo01a.log'

As there are 2 multiplexed logs per group will a copy/rename of the available log not suffice?

I checked the seq# in redo01a.log and redo1b.log are the same.

Many thanks for your help

ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE GROUP group_number;
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

1)Read careful!!!
    LTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE MEMBER 'the path and the name of the member to drop'

That tries to drop the entire group

2) Copying the existing log - I guess it will work but you should first shutdown the database
    shutdown immediate
    copy and rename
    startup

Thanks Bore. My mistake in not reading properly!

I sorted the problem using your solution. Thanks again.