DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Share lisener or seprate ?

Question Share lisener or seprate ?

I installed two instance ( databases ) on the same box, now i am wondering if i should share the same listener ( port 1521 ) or separate one for each ( say port 1521 for one, and port 1522 for the other ) ? What's difference it will make? Thanks in advance.

A good rule of thumb is to use the server's latest version listener.

If your server is exposed to outside traffic, you may have some firewall port hole-poking to do (read nightmare).

Ken
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Why two listeners?

Do you have more than one DB on the box? Say - a Prod and a Test DB? You might want to direct test users to the test listener etc. That way you can play around with the test listener without interefering with the Prod users.

Separating them out to separate ports could also reduce contention, I suppose.

Setting a listener on non-default port could be a bit tricky. You will probably loose the authomatic service registration and dispatcher registrations to the listener if you do not set the LOCAL_LISTENER initialization parameter.
    Also if you do not set this parameter, you will not be able to prevent both instances from registering to the listener at 1521.
    The listener tends to be easy to use and maintain, with no much space of configuration and experimenting, so you need 2 listeners ONLY in case if you have exessive login/logouts (the number of connected sessions has nothing to deal with the listener, it is operatable only trough connection)
    So I support Ken. Go with the listener of the latest version

So, are you guys saying it's OK for the two instances to share the same port number (1521) ? The two instances will be running on the same box, currently they are share the same port number, just wanna double check it's fine before it go live. thanks in advance.

Jiangxi, do the right thing.

Two instances, Two listeners.

Is gonna take 10 minutes of your time and it will give you in return two totally independent environments.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by KenEwald
    A good rule of thumb is to use the server's latest version listener.

If your server is exposed to outside traffic, you may have some firewall port hole-poking to do (read nightmare).
    Ken, Tell me the truth, did you intend to answer a different question or it was just a severe case of random typing?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

hi hunnies...i have 4 databases in our box, 8i,9i,10gEE,10gXE and i used
    the listener created by XE ...it is just the ease in manageability having to
    use one listener.