DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9i coldbackup done, how to restore db with output without RMAN

Question 9i coldbackup done, how to restore db with output without RMAN

I have to do a restore test to a 9i database. It was done in cold backup. I have all the files. But I have to prove the restore works. I know I probablly can just open the database. But I am fuzzy about how to show a log that I restore the database. Also , the database has NO archive logs at all. I am new to oracle. But have dba experience in many other database. Can any kind Oracle DBA friends help me to clarify this concept? Thanks.

cold backup with no archives? just put the files in the same place as they were originally and start it up

Jhcheng, Restore from cold backups do not need any archive log files but know that you will be setting back the status of database to a point where cold backup was taken. For real upto date database restore(which is true for almost all production database), read about hot backups and RMAN concepts and practise them.
    -- Dilip

I hope when you say "cold backup" you mean an O/S backup done while the database was down.
    If this is the case both davey23uk and patel_dil comments apply.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I understand but...

I know I can simply open the database. I guess this is not a good test case just to prove our back up was good. Again, I have done rman before but this is "too" simple and made me wonder why it was asked me to do it.

Well, since the database has been shutdown a month ago, we are trying to test restore from Nov. I have the cold backup from Nov. When trying to do conn...I got this:

SQL> conn / as sysdba
    ERROR:
    ORA-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error

I should be able to open the db but it is not able to...can anyone tell me why?

guess you are on windows

your database service probably isnt started

thanks. this is resolved

this is a server about to retire....so someone disabled the services. I was able to open and captured the alert log for documentation. This is so simple and yet I thought I was missing something....ugg. Thanks everyone.