DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Index.

Hi Everyone,

I need help from you in the Index area.

I want to know whether Rebuilding of an existing index is faster than droping an recreating it ? and if yes why and how? I checked the Oracle 8 documentation and according to them they prefer to rebuild, and from from performance point of view rebuilding is better as compaired with dropping and recreating it. But I am not convinenced. Pl let me know.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Rebuild is faster than drop-recreate in most cases.

Some reasons:
    - For index to be created the system has to full-scan the table. For index to be rebuild the system has to fast-full-scan the index, which is usually faster since indexes typicaly occupy less blocks than underlying tables.
    - For index to be created, the system has to sort all the rows (CPU intensive operation, often also intensive I/O on temp tablespace), while when recreating all the index entries are allready sorted in the original index, so the sorting phase is not needed!

HTH,
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. One more question : In case of an existing index , if I delete some rows what happens to the nodes for which rows are deleted? and during rebuild such nodes will exists in the BTREE or not?

Thanks,

Rajesh

If you delete some rows they still have nodes in index, after rebuild index such nodes will not exist in btree.

You can use:
    Analyze index xxx validate structure
    and then from index_stats view find ratio del_lf_rows_len/lf_rows_len.
    Oracle recommends rebuilding if deleted enties represent >=20% of current entries.
    del_lf_rows_len = sum in bytes of deleted values from index
    lf_rows_len = sum in bytes of current values in index.