DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Listener stops

Listener stops

Hi,
    We are having problems with our listener sporadically stopping. Sometimes twice a day. I can't find any errors in the alert log or the listener log, but it just stops on our production server. We have several instances (total of 6) installed on this server, five 8i and one 9i instance. This is on an AIX 5.2 box. Do you have any suggestions of where I can start looking?

thanks

What version the listener is?
    DB alert.log will not be of much use. Listener.log however should contain something

the listener is 8.1.7.4.0. There is no error in the listener log, it just stops. There are just the normal connection established, return code 0 messages.

Physically in *ix the listener is a process, like :

/oracle> ps -ef | grep -i list
    oracle 19874 1 0 Dec 31 ? 155:18 /u1/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit

in your machine, the listener process REALLY die, or the listener just do not allow more connections ??? And another point, what is the sense in having an 8i listener serving a 9i instance, between others ??? The common advice is always use the MOST RECENT listener, 9i in your case, serving all the instances...

regards,

Chiappa

we are in the process of upgrading from 8i to 9i. Our production systems are 8i, we have 1 test 9i instance. When the listener dies, I check by doing a lsnrctl status and there is no active listener. They are all down. But I do believe the problem is that the 8i listener is listening for a 9i database. When I look at the listener.ora file for the 9i database, it only has entries for the 8i SIDs. It doesn't even have the new 9i SID in the SID_LIST. How does Oracle decide to even start the listener for this SID?

well dont use an 8i listener, that will be your problem, yout cant do that.

Stop the 8i listener, start the 9i listener and away you go

from 9i onwards you dont have to list the SIDs, a database will register itself automatically with a listener called listener running on port 1521

so it's best to just run the 9i listener and not 8i listeners for the 8i instances and a 9i listener for the 9i instance?

correct, a 9i listener will do fine for both

ok, thanks very much

Agree with Davey. That was my question about. 9i Db could crash 8i listener