DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Forms Builder won't connect to Personal Oracle 8 database

Hybrid View

I installed Personal Oracle 8 (on Win98) and then Developer 2000. I am able to connect to the database using 2 users that were automatically created during installation. One is po8/po8 (user/passwd) and the other is system/manager. When I connect using SQLPlus, I simply put in the username and the password. I leave the host string field blank....and it connects fine. However, when I do the same thing in the Forms Builder, it just hangs. When I use the database name along with this, it also hangs. In either case, I eventually have to kill the Forms Builder because it won't connect. When I try to connect to SQLPlus using the username/pw and the host string...I get ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name.

The only database that exists is the default database with the name "oracle". Maybe that is the wrong name to be using....I'm not sure.

Is there some other set-up I need to do? How can I figure-out what connect string to use?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

Try "2:" (without the quotes) as a connect string - this was valid with PO7, i'm not sure about PO8.

If this doesn't help, you could still use the traditional way, using SQL*Net listener. Personal Oracle comes with a listener, although you must configure and start it manualy. Look for LSNRCTL.EXE - with this you can start the listener. And of course, you must create the configuration file LISTENER.ORA for your listener to work, and you must have TNSNAMES.ORA in each oracle home, from where you want to connect to your db.

Connecting to D2K

Hi

Don't Specify anything in the hoststring, I think you have installed D2k in different home.

Happy New Year
    Felix DBA
    Agilent Technlogies
    Singapore
    Felix
    DBA