DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold & Exp/Imp backup Combination

Question Cold & Exp/Imp backup Combination

Dear All:

It will be highly appreciated if any one let me know the combination of COLD backup and Export/Import backup, I meant Physical & Logical Backup. I want to make clear concept to set up my backup plan. I have production Database I need to setup daily backup system how I can make combination of Physical & Logical Backup.

Your prompt replay will be really highly appreciated.

M.A.Samad

In some cases, an EXPORT is used as a supplement "backup" (logical) to the standard COLD or HOT backup (physical). Depending on how big your database is, you can perform a nightly export in addition to your COLD backup.

The EXPORT just provides an extra level of protection, however in most instances, your primary restore mechanism is going to be the COLD/HOT backup.

Export also gives you the advantage of finding out whether you have block corruption or not.So export clubbed with cold and hot backup is a good combination.
    A better one is the RMAN utility which does the work of all the above three and gives you an added advantage of ease of use and manageability
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA

Once again thanks all here.

Please may I have details process how I can make it works I meant in the weekend I have taken COLD backup then other days of week I will take EXP/IMP utility to cover it. now before weekend my database got crashed how I recover it (disK failure cause).

Please if any one have concept it let me know by this site.

Thanks in advance ...
    samad

Restore the crashed file(s) from from the cold backup and apply all archives generated from after the cold backup till the point of crash.You should also take hot backups every day to minimize the recovery time.

Read backup manual from oracle. All types recovery scenerios are explained there.
    Advising you again, implement RMAN
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA

Quote Originally Posted by Abdus.samad
    Please may I have details process how I can make it works I meant in the weekend I have taken COLD backup then other days of week I will take EXP/IMP utility to cover it. now before weekend my database got crashed how I recover it (disK failure cause).
    physical backups and logical backups are as similar as apples and sneakers. You just can't use one with the other. If you're taking cold backups on the weekend (which, IMHO, are a waste of time), then take archivelog backups during the week.

If you feel safe with an export every night (which, of course, you shouldn't) then you would have to reload all your data in the case of a crash. Everybody repeat after me: "You will lose data with export/import."

A good backup strategy starts with input from the business in which you are trying to protect. I've used just about every backup method out there and I can save you the time and aggravation by suggesting you learn RMAN and implement hot backups.

http://marist89.blogspot.com/2005/05/backup-top-11.html

Of course, you can do it your way and learn what sort of response you get from Oracle at 02:00 in the morning, but that's your call.
    Jeff Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by marist89
    physical backups and logical backups are as similar as apples and sneakers. You just can't use one with the other. If you're taking cold backups on the weekend (which, IMHO, are a waste of time), then take archivelog backups during the week.

If you feel safe with an export every night (which, of course, you shouldn't) then you would have to reload all your data in the case of a crash. Everybody repeat after me: "You will lose data with export/import."

A good backup strategy starts with input from the business in which you are trying to protect. I've used just about every backup method out there and I can save you the time and aggravation by suggesting you learn RMAN and implement hot backups.

http://marist89.blogspot.com/2005/05/backup-top-11.html

Of course, you can do it your way and learn what sort of response you get from Oracle at 02:00 in the morning, but that's your call.

C'mon Jeff, where is your sense of adventure?
    I remember when this place was cool.

hi all
    good backup strategy also need some good consideration of retention policy .for how u manage ur backed up data
    good plan may include daily hotbackup and export.retain hotbackup data for 7 days /15 days and then take cold backup after 7/15 days and reuse old data media again . and then again retain ur cold backup media according to ur retaintion plan.......
    Regards

Dear All:

If I wanna setup O/S backup for physical and exp/imp as logical backup how I make them combination I meant I don’t wants to used RMAN method at all its so confuse to me to realized. Please help me out to setup well backup strategy.

Samad

you want a 100% solid strategy, then export everyday and performa physica backup everyday, simple as that