DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data migration from oracle 8.1.7 to 9.2

Exclamation Data migration from oracle 8.1.7 to 9.2

Hi,
    I have one database of version 8.1.7 , I've to transfer all the data from this database to new oracle 9.2.
    These both oracle are installed on different machines.
    Can I simply migrate the data from 8.1.7 to 9.2 by Export and Import utility?
    Can u please tell me simpler process to do this migration .Also the size of the source database is 2 GB.
    But before the export I've to create the database with same name on target machine .Right!
    How to do this task?

Thanks in advance.

Exp/imp will do just fine (particulary for such a small database) and there is nothing complicated in doing it. Check the migration guide, it has the detailed description of the process.

Yes, you have first to create a new database on the new server, but it doesn't have to have the same database name as the source database. How to create a new database? Well, using Database Configuration Assistant GUI tool would be the right choice for you, I think. Again, check the documentation on how to approach this task.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Which os to os?

If its same create database and import.

If diff then create all the tablespaces and then import with ignore=y.
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"

Quote Originally Posted by dbasan
    Which os to os?

If its same create database and import.

If diff then create all the tablespaces and then import with ignore=y.
    Well, if you want to go to such details as weather you need to precreate the tablespaces or not (although I think this only confuses the original poster even further than he/she allready is), then you have two inaccurate points in your statement:

1. Whether you need to prcreate tablespaces or not does not solely depend on whether you are migrating to different OS or not. In some circumstances, you can have two different operating sistem, yet you can safely let the imp process do the tablespaces for you. In some other ocasion, even when your new OS is the same as the old one, you'll have to precreate the tablespaces before you run the imp.

2. IGNORE=Y has nothing to do with tablespaces whatsoever, so it is irrelevant here.
    Jurij Modic

Hi, I've tried to export database on my local pc and then import but It didn't give me the tablespaces from source database. Then I created tht tablespace and user also and tried the export using tablespaces word ,I got all the data of tht tablespace.

But when export whole db, there appeared one new folder like
    Oracle\admin\new01 containing upgrade (sqls and trace document)
    Do u know wht it mean?
    Shall i Try the same on remote pc?

Whether I need to do all setting of PFILE and all after importing the data on 9i?

Quote Originally Posted by jmodic
    1. Whether you need to prcreate tablespaces or not does not solely depend on whether you are migrating to different OS or not. In some circumstances, you can have two different operating sistem, yet you can safely let the imp process do the tablespaces for you. In some other ocasion, even when your new OS is the same as the old one,
    Your statements are conflicting.

Did you ever try doing this??? - for different OS

Quote Originally Posted by jmodic
    you'll have to precreate the tablespaces before you run the imp.
    Not needed, here you can let the imp process do the tablespaces for you - same OS

OS on both the terminals are same.
    I am not able to understand how to do this migration.
    Whether first i Create all the tablespaces and respective users including system on target db and then export of whole source database and then import on target? Or just taking the export of the tablespaces will do? But all the indx,system,rbs etc are dictionary managed. but in oracle9i these shd be locally managed and also in 9i there is undo managment should be auto. And what about init.ora file ? Should i take its exp and imp also ? How to change the parameteres in oracle 9i.
    Please give me your valuable Guidence.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by minal_yawale
    OS on both the terminals are same.
    I am not able to understand how to do this migration.
    Whether first i Create all the tablespaces and respective users including system on target db and then export of whole source database and then import on target? Or just taking the export of the tablespaces will do? But all the indx,system,rbs etc are dictionary managed. but in oracle9i these shd be locally managed and also in 9i there is undo managment should be auto. And what about init.ora file ? Should i take its exp and imp also ? How to change the parameteres in oracle 9i.
    Please give me your valuable Guidence.

Thanks.
    > Create the 9i db with system, temp and undo tablespaces(LMT) to start with.

> What all init parameters you have set in 8i you can implement the same in 9i except the 9i deprecated parameters and restart the db.

> Take the full export of 8i db.

> Import the dump on 9i db, will create all the tablespaces as in the 8i.

Caution if any of the user tablespace is Dict managed then you need to precreate them also in 9i.
    Recompile the invalid objects and that's it.
    Test it and you would come to know.

Quote Originally Posted by dbasan
    Your statements are conflicting.

Did you ever try doing this??? - for different OS
    Migrating from Solaris to AIX - arent those different OS?
    Migrating from Thru64 to Linux - arent those different OS?
    Migrating from HPUX-32bit to HPUX-64bit - arent those different OS?
    Do I need to go further with this? Do I need to explain in more detail in what circumstances imp will be able to create the tablespaces even when you are importing to different operating system?

So spare me with questions like "Did you ever try doing this??? - for different OS".
    Jurij Modic

Gotcha!

Diff OS you specified are all diff flavours of UNIX. They follow the same path /../../../

In my case its from windows to UNIX. when i did a import with out precreating tablespaces in solaris i got all the datafiles created like
    E: oracleora92oradatafsprod01.ctl under /Oracle/product/9201/dbs, since windows follow the exact opposite of UNIX e:\..\..\..\

May be we need to specify on what OS we had this, would have avoided the unnecessary debates. If this has in anyway hurt you excuse me, and i put a fullSTOP to this.