DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Materialized view

Materialized view

I want to use Materialized view for Datamart. Do we need to create indexes in MV for fast access? Also, how do we do error log if the MV failed in production because of bad data etc. Thanks

Whether you need indexes or not depends on the size of the MV data set and how it's accessed. Just think of it as a regular table and go through the same thought process as you normally would.

You would hopefully get an error message if the refresh failed, and the MV would generally be STALE and show a compile_state of NEEDS_COMPILE
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

If MV is running in production who is going to get error message. I understand in dev I will get one as I am testing. Is there a way to send all error messages to users that data refresh last night and for which error? That was the question. This kind of ETL tracing I used to do when working with other RDBMS now how it is supported by Oracle MV?

what you can do is write one shell script. in which you will call for refresh of whatever MV's you want redirect its o/p to some log file. and in the last of script mail that log file to user who you think should monitor refresh.