DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ASM using ASMLib and Raw Devices per oracle-base.com

ASM using ASMLib and Raw Devices per oracle-base.com

Please, be advised, that follow article:-

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/...RawDevices.php

will cause +ASM instance and prod ASM database to be installed in THE SAME ORACLE_HOME.
    The last is not recommended by Oracle Inc. for 10gR2.
    Per OTN :-
    Installer should be used for initial +ASM instance creating , then everything is going to be fine
    with starting LISTENER and registering +ASM instance with it.

More over there is pretty straight forward procedure the same for 10.1.0.2 and 10.2.0.1
    which will result same configuration as article mentioned above.
    +ASM instance will be created during installer run ( without leaving OUI environment) and utilized in the same OUI session for ASM production database creation.
    Compare with instructions at oracle-base.com:-

Database Creation
    Before continuing with the database creation, check the listener is up and the ASM instance has registered with it.

Start the listener using the following command.

$ lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 29-APR-2006 14:35:46

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Starting /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Log messages written to /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/network/log/listener .log
    Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=centos2.localdomain)(POR T=1521)))

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias LISTENER
    Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Start Date 29-APR-2006 14:35:47
    Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 0 sec
    Trace Level off
    Security ON: Local OS Authentication
    SNMP OFF
    Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/network/log/listen er.log
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=centos2.localdomain)(PORT=1521)))
    The listener supports no services
    The command completed successfully
    $
    The ASM instance is not registered, so we can force the registration by doing the following.

$ export ORACLE_SID=+ASM
    $ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Sat Apr 29 14:37:06 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> alter system register;

System altered.

SQL> exit
    Disconnected from Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Pr oduction
    With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
    $
    Checking the status of the listener shows that the ASM instance is now registered.

$ lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 29-APR-2006 14:37:32

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias LISTENER
    Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Start Date 29-APR-2006 14:35:47
    Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 1 min. 46 sec
    Trace Level off
    Security ON: Local OS Authentication
    SNMP OFF
    Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/network/log/listen er.log
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=centos2.localdomain)(PORT=1521)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "+ASM" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "+ASM", status BLOCKED, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Service "+ASM_XPT" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "+ASM", status BLOCKED, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    The command completed successfully

Brief extract from OTN manuals may be found at:-
    http://librenix.com/?inode=7376
    http://bderzhavets.blogspot.com/2005...tation-on.html

Ongoing discussion with Tim:-

http://oradot.com/node/33
    Last edited by dbaxps; 05-12-2006 at 01:01 PM.

contact the author, i'm sure he will look into it

Hi.

There isn't a problem with the article, provided you read it properly.

First, the article specifies that a software only installation is performed before setting up the ASM instance. As a result, you don't get two ASM instances created.

Also, there is only ever the ASM instance and one database instance, so it is perfectly acceptable to have the ASM instance running from the same $ORACLE_HOME has the database instance. Oracle only recommend a separate $ORACLE_HOME for the ASM instance if you are planning to run multiple database instances on a single server. Based on this same comment by dbaxps on OraDot, I've already added a comment about the shared $ORACLE_HOME.

The article is meant as a comparison of the methods needed to set up the two types of ASM instances. It's not an in depth "all you need to know about ASM!" I though that was pretty obvious, based on the name and tone of the article, but obviously I was wrong

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Feedback based on OTN Manual

Please,view:-

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs....htm#sthref836

Then you'll be able to find:-

First.

Oracle recommends that you install Automatic Storage Management in its own Oracle home, regardless of whether you plan to only have one or multiple database instances. Installing Automatic Storage Management in its own Oracle home helps ensure higher availability and manageability.

With separate Oracle homes, you can upgrade Automatic Storage Management and databases independently, and you can remove database software without impacting the Automatic Storage Management instance. Ensure that the Automatic Storage Management version is the same or later than the Oracle Database version.

If an Automatic Storage Management installation does not already exist and you select the Oracle Universal Installer option to install and configure Automatic Storage Management only, then Oracle Universal Installer installs Automatic Storage Management in its own Oracle home.

Second

3.5.3 Step 3: Installing Oracle Database to Use with Automatic Storage Management

After you have created the Automatic Storage Management instance and Automatic Storage Management disk groups, you are ready to create a database instance that can use Automatic Storage Management.

To create a database instance to use with Automatic Storage Management:

Start Oracle Universal Installer.

On the Welcome screen, select Advanced Installation and then click Next.

On the Select Installation Type screen, select one of the installation types, and then click Next.

On the Specify Home Details screen, select a different Oracle home from the home used for Automatic Storage Management.

If you selected the Custom installation type, then select from the products to install.

On the Product-Specific Prerequisite Checks screen, check that the requirements have been met and then click Next.

On the Select Configuration Option screen, select Create a Database.

On the Select Database Configuration screen, select from the database types displayed and click Next.

On the Specify Database Configuration Options screen, enter the following settings and then click Next.

. . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by dbaxps; 05-30-2006 at 04:43 PM.

The most recent feedback from Tim Hall at OraDot.com

I would consider it as a excellent pattern of courtesy.
    Message from Tim:-
    You are clutching at straws
    Submitted by oraclebase on May 30, 2006 - 2:59am.

You are clutching at straws because once again you are wrong!

The problem here is your description. The method I use creates an ASM instance and a normal database instance using the same ORACLE_HOME. A practice that is considered normal by Oracle:

"If you are running a single database instance on a server or node and have no plans to add one or more database instances to this server or node, ASM and the database can share a single Oracle home"

By constantly describing the database as a production ASM database, you are mixing terminology, thus implying that two ASM instances are runnig in a single ORACLE_HOME, which of course there are not. There is not an ASM instance and a ASM database, there is just an ASM instance and a database instance.

Perhaps you should consider:

1) Using the correct terminology in future.
    2) Reading my articles properly, before announcing to the world I've made a mistake, when in fact it is you that has made the mistake!
    3) Contact me with your questions about the content of my aticles, before making a fool of yourself in front of the whole world!

I'm getting really bored of half-wits like yourself!

Cheers

Tim...

One more independent opinion regarding discussed issue

You're a fine one to talk about courtesy. You don't bother to read the manuals and then criticise me, even though I use a perfectly valid instalation method. If you want to use the manuals as evidence, it would help if you read more than one of them:

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/c...htm#sthref1649

What's more, you don't contact me to ask me about the article. You just post your incorrect conclusions across the net, which I subsequently find and call you up on.

If my tone sounds angry it's because you are an idiot!

I suggest you get your own house in order before you go posting on every forum you can find criticising others!

For those that would like the full story behind this thread see:

http://oradot.com/node/33

Cheers

Tim...
    Last edited by TimHall; 06-16-2006 at 12:44 PM.
    Tim...
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director

A couple of words about articles @oracle-base.com

Hello Tim,
    It’s really funny to see how much upset with me you’ve become.
    If you are absolutly right, then nobody needs your comments to understand who I am (idiot of course). It should be obvious for anybody without your persistent "EXPLANATION SUPPORT".
    I never wrote that your articles were wrong. I wrote that you suggested not optimal or not accurate actions. View for example :

http://librenix.com/?inode=8997

regarding Oracle 10g R2 Startup / Shutdown issue on the box running CRS daemons and compare it with yours approach. Once again , your article would be just fine if you would care to mention that it works only for non-ASM databases. However you wouldn’t .
    Last edited by dbaxps; 06-17-2006 at 08:58 AM.

Hi.

Well that works both ways. If you are so sure you're correct, why do you feel the need to respond.

As I keep saying, the installation is perfectly valid according to the manuals. I've even quoted the URL so you can read the manual yourself. What's more, the article was a comparison between Raw Devices and ASMLib, not an ASM best practices article, so it's hardly relevant.

I'm guessing very few of the people out there using ASM in a test environment bother to use separate Oracle homes. Take a look at Howard Roger's ASM guides and you will see the same style of installation as mine. I'm sure if you want to contact him with your usual style of post he will give you a complete dressing down and confirm my suspicion that you are an idiot. It's all about context, and you can't seem to judge it.

Regarding the 10gR2 startup/shutdown: Once again, another red herring. If you look at my installation articles they do not use ASM so the startup/shutdown script is perfectly valid. What's more, the approach I use is taken directly from the Oracle manual. Once again, you criticise me for using a method published in the documentation because you are using that method in a different context and it doesn't work for you. It's not my fault you are not following my instructions properly!

I'm not angry with the facts of this discussion, since they clearly show that I am correct and you are wrong. I'm angry about the manner this discussion came about. Any reasonable person would have contacted me with their concerns over my article. I could then discuss their issues and either correct my mistake, or correct their misunderstanding without broadcasting the whole affair to the world. Instead of that, I find posts on several forums proclaiming that my articles are misleading... Are you surprised I'm annoyed? It's not like I don't actively encourage feedback on my articles, forum and via email!

Look at the first response to your post here:

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    contact the author, i'm sure he will look into it
    Sounds like the sort of action a reasonable person would take. Notice, he doesn't suggest posting your nonesense on every forum you can fined!

Tim...
    Last edited by TimHall; 06-18-2006 at 11:41 AM.
    Tim...
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director