DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: No of Process

Arrow

The Processes parameter in my init.ora file is set to 200. By Default it was 50. It became inadequate and started giving error of 'maximum no of processes exceeds' even after 10 users accesssing it by a web server. This database is for B2B site . I have changed this parameter to 200 and currently we are working but when oyr site will be implemented there may be hundreds of users acces this site and applications which may create n number of processes. Then even this 200 will be insufficient. I read in Press Book that maximum no of processes can be 300. Then What is the solution as even this no. is inadequate for me in a global environment when some thousand users will access this site. So what is the solution to this problem ? Is this related to changes in other settings?

Amol

Do you know what, in the code, is spawning all of those individual processes?
    (877)687-3227

no of processes

Hello

I dont have PARALLEL_MAX_SERVERS parameter set im my init.ora file . Is the problem with web server's connection pooling ? My setting is Linux with Oracle 8.1.5 . The server is dedicated server. Can I run Dedicated server for B2B site or do I have to change setting.

I will be greatly thankful to have a comprehensive reply on this problem bcos in long run the server will be accessed by thousands of users.

Amol
    New to dba world, so please ......

I think that ur application is opening connections on to the database
    so find out from ur application developers/server side about how many connections
    will the application opens in database and accordingly modify ur semaphores
    and process in init.ora file..Generally for a b2b site and end user defnly
    doesnt have direct connection to database it should be driven by application(middle tier) which in turn supports thousands of users
    This should help
    sat

Why don't u use multi-threaded server (MTS)? it save much processes as they will be shared by multiple connections...

When not using MTS every connection on the DB will create a process, so it seems 300 processes might not be enough...

also check with the developers if they properly close their connections to the DB, check if there are many idle sessions by using:

select username,last_call_et from v$session;

so u will see how many seconds have passed since last request from each user.

Query v$process for al processes

Multi Threaded Server

Well Thanks Everybody

I don't know how to implement Multi threaded Server for a B2B database. Do I have to Install Oracle Again for it or can I change it by adding some parameters. Is there any other way which I can really have the solution to the problem of connection pooling from the database side ?
    There are some responses which I received says that they have modified the processes parameter to 500 and still it is runnin successfully, Is it OK to go on modifying the processes parameter in the init.ora file whenever there is a problem of connection Pooling.
    I'll be very thankful if I can get comprehensive response on this matter.

Amol

to install MTS you just need to set 5 or 6 parameters in init.ora and bounce the database.

u activate MTS by adding followin params to the init.ora file:

mts_dispatchers="(PROT=TCP)(DISP=4)"
    mts_servers=4

which means there are 4 processes that are going to handle user connections and there wil be 4 dispatchers to disptach connections to the MTS. Please refer to the oracle documentatio for further details as there are other options for MTS like connection pooling ...

Also if u r using Windows NT/2000 there is no support for MTS as Windows is using threads anyway, not processes.

There is no 300 limit on # of processes. I have databases with 300+...

could you check your application how many connections/processes it open?

I had exeprience that one of our application open a connection/process each time it access DB and never disconnect. the result is few hours later we hit max process even you set the processes over 500. The other issue is how big your memeory, when oracle start it reserves memory for each of process even you are not use them yet. the best way to solve your problem is from application not increase # of processes and memory.