DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SQLPlus and Unix scripting with passing variables.

SQLPlus and Unix scripting with passing variables.

I have a Unix (Solaris) script that I am trying to embed a SQLPlus script in it as I am trying to receive values from my Oracle database and write them into script variables to be used elsewhere in my script. However, I am getting an error when it calls the "HERE" file which contains the SQLPlus script. I'm a newbie when it comes to Unix scripting and SQLPlus, but how can I call SQLPlus from within another script... I get the feeling that I can't use the "HERE" file method as an embedded script within a larger script.

So is there a way to query Oracle from within another script and save the results to variables? Or am I missing something?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I could post an example if that would help to clarify.

Thanks again,

Danielle

To take some value from the database and put it into your variable in your unix script you can do the following;
    For example in your unix script write;
    /oracle/bin/sqlplus "/as sysdba" @yoursqlscript.sql

-In your sql script
    use ;
    spool /textfile.txt in the beginning and
    use;
    spool off after the line which you get the value of whatever you wanted from the database;
    For ex :
    spool /textfile.txt
    select value from numbers where number=1;
    spool off;
    Now ,you have 1 in your textfile.Then use "cat" or awk with the textfile to take the needed value written in the textfile and put it into your unix script variable.
    This is a solution for this.

then use this;
    a=`cat textfile.txt | awk '{print $0}'`
    echo $a
    so you got 1 in your unix variable a .

If you have a big query which returns a lot of columns,you can use awk command to take specific values from any line,any word,etc.. of a textfile