DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best 10g DB management tool

Whats the best 10g DB management tool

Hi,

We have 10g on RHL AS4.0 and are shopping around for a db management tool to manage the databases . Any suggestions on whats the best one out there. It will be run on the desktops which are windows.

Thanks
    Ron
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

You need to shop for a good DBA, not a tool. 10g has already a lot of tools.

Tamil

You mean Enterprise Manager 10g

Its a pain to configure and with us having the app server and db on the same machine its having port issues with the app server.
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

you may need many tools and suitable licenses. Instead you can have atleast one DBA as Tamil said.

Good luck in Search!
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie
    You mean Enterprise Manager 10g

Its a pain to configure and with us having the app server and db on the same machine its having port issues with the app server.
    So solve the port issues then. Grid doesn't use that many ports, and those it does use are easily reconfigurable.

Bazza

sqlplus
    Jeff Hunter

It all depends what you are looking for and how much you would like to spend. I would say Oracle GRID is very good to do your daily monitoring and alert. TOAD is also an excellent tool that you can use. But it will cost you and it is totally windows base. If you do a Google you will find platy. Good luck!

Quest's spotlight?

What do you want to manage? Objects? Snoop code? Alerts? RAC?

SQLPLUS doesn't need additional licenses, and the skill set you develop using it is transportable. Be good at it and you'll be good at any other tool. You'll need to manage a cache of scripts.

10g Grid Control (OEM) will help consolidate things, but it's dangerous to depend on a gui tool. Eventually, you'll be back to a sqlplus prompt wondering what to type.

SQLNavigator is a good front end tool for managing db objects.

Spotlight is a sexy tool that looks good for the helpdesk but has some memory leak issues. At last check, it wasn't designed to run 24/7.

My 2 cents,

Ken
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

OEM has come a way since version 7 - so my experience is not so valid today.
    That said, for performance "management" I used Quest Spotlight when I was a beginner: it paid for itself with the first two problems solved and I found it a useful learning tool. In time I used it less and less - what do you call them on bikes: "training wheels"? - today I wouldn't spend the money.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman