DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Monitoring database

Monitoring database

Hi

I would like to check the monitor the following information in the database and I need some help on how to query them.

1. Objects getting close to their max extents?
    2. Tablespaces running low on free space?
    3. User and process limits reached?

I would also like the information to be email or sms to me whenever the limit set has been met. I know that email can be sent thru utl_smtp package, but can sms be sent thru the database directly? I do not plan to use ias wireless for the sms. Please kindly advice... Thanks!

Hi

I am using Oracle 9.2.0.4 database. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by mooks
    Hi

I am using Oracle 9.2.0.4 database. Thanks...
    there are many many tools that can do it, google for them

OEM for one, Grid Control, Spotlight the list goes on

Thanks ... besides using tools, are there any ways to script the SQL and send thru sms from the database?

Yes of course, write some procedures, that email when you want to be alerted and then just schedule them via dbms_job.

Bazza

What about alert thru sms? Is it possible to send sms from the database directly? Any external applications can help in sending the sms from database besides oracle wireless?

The easiest way of sending sms thru database is email via sms. You need to check with your mobile service provider regarding this option and usually SMSemail address will be @ but, it might be chargeable..

Hi! I have checked with my service provider, there is a charge for sending sms thru email and they only support a limited email providers like yahoo only. Is there a security problem to use smtp from the database server?

Please kindly give me some of your valuable suggestions and advices on how I can receive alerts if there is a problem with the database... Thank you!

Hi

Which are the standard parameters or areas that I should monitor for Oracle DB? Example : Buffer cache ratio?

Buffer cache ratio is not a useful stat. Usually meaningless.

Alot depends on your app, as to what might be useful. I monitor alot of app issues like: temp space filling up, long transactions/queries, blocking locks, free undo space.

Have you tried using OEM?
    "False data can act only as a distraction. Therefore. I shall refuse to perceive you." - Bomb #20