DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: running a script in unix

Hello,
    Assuming I have a script saved in a file called my_scripts.sql under this directory: u03/oradata/AP01/scripts/my_script.sql ,

Can I run it like this from

SQL>@/my_scripts.sql

OR I have to run it like this:

SQL>@u03/oradata/AP01/scripts/my_script.sql

Will both run? or I have to specify all the path name for the file to run the script?

Please explain, I'm "kinda" new to the unix environment.

thanks,
    learn

Three ways:
    If you've started sql*plus from the same directory as your script the you don't need to use a path (i.e. @my_scripts.sql), otherwise you need to use a full path (i.e. @/u03/oradata/AP01/scripts/my_scripts.sql) or a path relative to your current directory (if your current working directory is /u03/oradata then @./AP01/scripts/my_script.sql). Also make sure that you start your full path with a '/', otherwise the path will be interpreted as starting in your current working directory.

You can also set the env variable SQLPATH pointing to all the directories containing your scripts.
    In this way you can call your scripts everytime simply using an @ without specifing the script destination path.
    However if your script is in the current directory and it is not spiecified in the SQLPATH env variable you can call it using a double @ (example @@myscript)
    Bye.