DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone installed 9.2.0.7???

Question Has anyone installed 9.2.0.7???

An Oracle person working at the client site told us that we needed to install 9.2.0.7 when we install the next release because it is a security patch, but she has not yet given a specific reason for us to install it. We are currently at 9.2.0.6 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server and would like to wait to install the patch.

I would appreciate if anyone can tell me their experiences with this patch. It doesn't seem that important to me to have this patch. In fact I would rather wait for 10g SR2 to be out a little longer, get patched and then go straight to 10g SR2. But it is too new for our customer to want to install it. Comments??

Well I did patch one of my test databases on windoze but haven't found any reason to get the prod patched. They say don't fix it if its not broken
    Last edited by adewri; 09-07-2005 at 03:31 PM.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Quote Originally Posted by adewri
    Well I did patch one of my test databases on windoze but haven't found any reason to get the prod patched. They say don't fix it if its not broken
    There should be a second part to that, "but if you patch too often it might get broken."

I've installed the 9.2.0.7 on a couple Solaris boxes to fix a problem with MTS Servers. I plan to apply it on all my boxes as this will probably be the terminal release of 9iR2.
    Jeff Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by marist89
    I've installed the 9.2.0.7 on a couple Solaris boxes to fix a problem with MTS Servers. I plan to apply it on all my boxes as this will probably be the terminal release of 9iR2.
    Which sounds like a good reason to go with the patch, but we don't use MTS. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something important.

another point is that if you have a problem, supports first item will be - upgrade to the latest patch set and any new fixes will be done against 9.2.0.7

I'm still waiting for 9.2.0.7 on HP-UX RISC

I also remember reading that 9.2.0.9 was going to be the terminal release... mind you, that information probably came from within these forum pages...
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Has anyone read Note:308894.1 describing the bugs fixed by this patch? From glancing at that it would seem that 9.2.0.6 is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolf989
    Has anyone read Note:308894.1 describing the bugs fixed by this patch? From glancing at that it would seem that 9.2.0.6 is crap.
    Yeah we ended up not applying 9.2.0.6 to any Prod db's. We'll wait for 9.2.0.7, and jump straight from 9.2.0.5 to 9.2.0.7.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Quote Originally Posted by gandolf989
    What makes you think so (I mean about 9.2.0.6 being crap)?

Those fixed bugs in 9.2.0.7 list were not caused (probably with very very few exceptions) by 9.2.0.6 patchset, they were in the code from the initial release of 9.2 (or even from previous releases)! Those bugs simply weren't known (or they couldn't be fixed) by the time 9.2.0.6 patchset was made available, that's all.

So, instead of saying "9.2.0.6 patchset is crap" you should be saying "9.2 database is crap" - but would you realy say that?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?