DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Moving from 8i on Windows to 10G on Linux

Moving from 8i on Windows to 10G on Linux

Hi,

Currently we have Oracle 8i running on a windows 2000 advanced server and are planning to change our platform to Red Hat Linux EE 3.0 and also are planning to migrate the database to 10G

Is it advisable to do both at the same time and what are the caveats we should be aware of.

Also do you guys recommend a production database on linux.

Please suggest

Thanks
    Ron
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

Hi.

I would definitely do it in one step. that way you only have to do one lot of plannign and testing. Why plan and test the 10g upgrade on windows, then test the OS change separately. Sounds like wasted effort to me.

We have a couple of smaller production systems running Oracle on RedHat and they look good. They certainly seem to get the job done quicker than our Tru64 kit, which is vastly more expensive. I've not run a really heavy use system on Linux yet, but from what I've seen so far it looks good. Added to this, it seems to be the platform of choice for Oracle.

The problem with trying to get an opinion from others is that thy may not be using the same features as you, in the same way you are. The only way you're going to b sure is to get the kit and test it.

My current feeling is, with volume of issues I'm having with Tru64, surely Linux can't be any worse

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Thanks Tim,

The main features that we use are snapshot replication and Intermedia Text seaches.

Which version of RHL is the most recommended, RHL EE 3.0 or someother.
    Most of us are windows guys here and have done a few courses in Linux. It will be a uphill task for us.

Any suggestions where to get the reading material for oracle on Linux.

BTW, I love your site.

Thanks
    Ron
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie
    Is it advisable to do both at the same time and what are the caveats we should be aware of.
    Since you're going to have to do a full system test anyway, I'd do both at the same time.

Also do you guys recommend a production database on linux.
    Sure, I've got plenty. I use RHEL 3 and RHEL 4 in production. Currently RHEL 4 is not certified for 10gR2, but will be soon.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks everyone,

So what do you suggest, I migrate the DB first and then the OS or vice versa.

-Ron
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie
    Thanks everyone,

So what do you suggest, I migrate the DB first and then the OS or vice versa.
    Since you're switching platforms, you're going to have to use export/import. I would create a DB on linux, pre-create your users, exp each user on your 8.1.7/Win database, ftp the .dmp files (binary mode), and imp fromuser/touser on the linux box.
    Jeff Hunter