DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Critical Patch Update - When do you apply

Question Critical Patch Update - When do you apply

Hi everyone - I haven't been here in quite some time!

Quick question for you all -
    How quickly do you guys put on the Critical Patch Updates? When the first one came out (January), I foolishly put it on right away. Only to find out that it could cause corruption, and had to pull it off. When April came out, I waited 1 month. Again, things were missed. I didn't have to uninstall it, but I did have to go back and make changes.

What's everyone's plan to apply these?

Thanks!
    Jodie

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Understand the vunerabilities that are fixed and determine if they are applicable for your environment. If so, apply the patch in test and see what happens.
    Jeff Hunter

I would typically agree, Jeff.
    But these are Security Patches. I know.. we don't have a problem right now, but if we do down the road, and we didn't apply a patch that could have prevented it, my a$$ is on the line.

We basically have a policy to apply all Critical Patch Updates.. but after a specific "delay". On the DB2/mainframe side, they wait 3-6 months. I'm just trying to determine what my time "delay" should be... what is typical out there.

Personally I think Oracle is just pulling a CYA. I have databases that have been up for 16 months. You want me to bring it down every quarter to apply a patch that probably doesn't help me anyway? I've got 20 databases and by group policy I can only do maintenance on one database in any given weekend. It would take me 20 weekends a quarter just to apply the patches (do the math).
    Jeff Hunter

Yikes.. I see your point.

I only have 7 databases, and have all weekend long to do most anything I want... I'm spoiled.

Typically I patch my local DB first as soon as a patch is release. Then do it on the development environment which gives me the idea if any thing is not working. Finally if required (for fixing bugs only) apply it on prod.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!