DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: london

It really sucks!

Yesterday we heard we were going to host the 2012 Olympics and I hoped this would start the process of rebuilding our international relations. Now we will become as crazed as certain other countries, and in the process alienate ourselves more.

I don't agree with terrorism, it's definitely wrong, but I am aware they we in the west have made ourselves targets for such acts by constantly annoying other countries.

It's Karma!

What a total and utter bummer! I feel sorry for the people and the families that have been screwed by this, and also the people who felt the need to do it in the first place.

I guess we've just got to wait and see what happens next. I get the feelign that I will be having my ID card through the post sooner rather than later!

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

"we in the west have made ourselves targets for such acts by constantly annoying other countries."

Can you elaborate please
    I remember when this place was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TimHall
    It's Karma!
    WTF are you talking about?? What little you know about what your country does for others.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hanky
    Can you elaborate please
    Well, we have this habit of poking our noses in other peoples affairs if we think they will affect our economies. We were friendly with Iraq, so we helped them fight Iran, who at the time were our enemies. Some time later the roles switch and all of a sudden Iraq starts using our weapons and training against us. If it wasn't so sad it would be comical.

Quote Originally Posted by OracleDoc
    WTF are you talking about?? What little you know about what your country does for others.
    Not sure I'm understanding this sentence right. I don't believe we are all bad, but I don't believe we are the innocent victims in this either. I have some friends who have been on the other side of some of these conflicts and it's interesting when you get to hear both sides of the story, rather than just the homogenised opinions of your own countries news service.

It's only my opinion, but you have to ask youself why people are taking a poke at the USA and UK, rather than other countries who have not been to annoying historically.

Just to reiterate, I don't believe we are all bad, but I don't believe we are the innocent victims in this either.

Hey, it's only my opinion.

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director

Quote Originally Posted by TimHall
    I don't believe we are all bad, but I don't believe we are the innocent victims in this either.
    So its ok, or in your words "its karma" that innocent people die because of policies our government choose to follow? I think sometimes people get too wrapped up in this "my country vs. your country" thing... we are all individuals with a right to live a life and not to have it taken away by some idiot with a bomb and a point to prove against our leader.
    Assistance is Futile...

So do you think you deserved this?
    Do you think the people on the subway are NOT innocent?

I voted for a government that has done some things I do not agree with. On the one hand I helped put them in power so I have to share some of the responsibility. On the other hand, I don't agree with all of their foreign policies, so perhaps I'm not part of the problem.

I'm not a fan of patriotism, to me it's just an acceptable face of racism, but I am judged by others based on the country I live in. That certainly makes me think of things in a "my country" type of way in some situations. When the leaders of my country do something wrong it alters peoples perceptions of me. That's the way it is. Do I like that fact? No. Does it happen? Yes.

Regarding the victims of terrorist attacks, I do think of them as innocent as they did not directly or knowingly provoke the act itself, but we all stand by and watch terrible injustices happen without standing up and being counted. That certainly doesn't make us completely innocent.

Look, I realise this really isn't the place to talk about this. It's an emotive subject and everything I've said will be quoted out of context to serve someone elses purpose, so I guess I'm going to knock it on the head.

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director

If you want to let this thread sie that is fine by me, I am just curious and asking questions. You are confusing me though, in one post you said.

"Well, we have this habit of poking our noses in other peoples affairs if we think they will affect our economies"

and then...

"but we all stand by and watch terrible injustices happen without standing up and being counted."

Now I may be misunderstanding, or misinterpreting this but you can see the contradiction no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hanky
    If you want to let this thread sie that is fine by me, I am just curious and asking questions. You are confusing me though, in one post you said.

"Well, we have this habit of poking our noses in other peoples affairs if we think they will affect our economies"

and then...

"but we all stand by and watch terrible injustices happen without standing up and being counted."

Now I may be misunderstanding, or misinterpreting this but you can see the contradiction no?
    Well, the context of these two statements is different. In the first, the context was on a country level. In the second quote I was talking about individuals.

Two different posts, two different contexts. Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Mr.H:

If I was chatting in the pub I would gladly talk about this for ages. Since 911 I guess it has been a constant topic of conversation all round the world. The issue here is it's not always easy to convey an emotive argument like this on a text based forum. It's two easy to get taken out of context.

I don't care if others agree with me or not. I just don't want them to take my opinions out of context and believe I said something I did not.

I guess if I was a clever man I would not have opened my gob in the first place, but would that make me part of the problem?

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director