DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What do you think about the article?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • completely true

0 0%
  • mostly true but over simplified

0 0%
  • somewhere in the middle

4 66.67%
  • mostly false and useless

0 0%
  • useless and false

2 33.33%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: indexes love big blocks

Re: larger block sizes

Originally posted by mikerault
    Nope, haven't had time to do the 32k trial, especially since I don't have a 64 bit server to play with (yet). As soon as I can I will look into it.

Mike
    Mike, this comment intrigues me, as it implies to me that you believe that a test on a 32bit version of Oracle would not be valid, or something?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Re: Re: larger block sizes

Originally posted by slimdave
    Mike, this comment intrigues me, as it implies to me that you believe that a test on a 32bit version of Oracle would not be valid, or something?
    it is that you cannot create 32k blocks on 32 bit OS's (I cannot :(

but it does beg the question how he knows it'll show a 1/3 increase in performance but that is another story. (usually you run a benchmark to discover the results, not announce the results you'll BE benchmarking in the future? that is how it has worked for me in the past, that the results were found after the benchmark was run)

Once upon a time ago, these 32k blocks had a special name...

BOB - the Big Oracle Block, it was for the incredible addressing space of 64bit.

if you google for

"big oracle block"

you'll get one hit (like magic, until and if this page gets indexed).

We used to have an option call the VLM option (Very Large Memory) for this support -- not around anymore, but you need 64bit to get 32k blocks.

I think though that Microsoft came out with MS Bob and we backed off. Something like that.

Ya know Tom, if you're going to hang out here you might want to consider changing your userid. People may start to single you out to ask questions then the next thing you know your PM folder is flooded. It's not that I care (or anyone else for that matter)if they single you out, I was thinking it's a nice break to get away from your site and come here to just "hang out" without getting hassled all the time.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    People may start to single you out to ask questions then the next thing you know your PM folder is flooded.
    f.y.i. you can disable PM (Oh! Is that another option not available to "junior" - this might be more evidence for that conspiracy theory!)
    Originally posted by OracleDoc
    I was thinking it's a nice break to get away from your site and come here to just "hang out" without getting hassled all the time.
    Yup. No obligation to answer anything here. Just choose the ones that look like fun.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman