DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Temporary tablespace backup

Temporary tablespace backup

There was a 806 database. The TEMP tablespace was "temporary", "dictionary managed" and had "datafiles".

The database has been upgraded to 9205. Nothing @ the TEMP tablespace has been changed. So, that tablespace is still "temporary", "dictionary managed" and has "datafiles". It has NOT been changed to "locally managed" and to have "tempfiles".

We still do conventional HOT backup of this database (alter tablespace begin backup...)

When the db was 806, we used to backup "datafiles" of this TEMP tablespace and have used those backups many times to clone the database. After the 9i upgrade, it was decided NOT to backup the "datafiles" of this TEMP tablespace.

The question is : Do I need to back the datafiles of this TEMP tablespace when we do HOT backup ?

What if I don't backup the "datafiles" of this TEMP tablespace and I need to perform complete/incomplete recovery ?

Gosh...this is back to basics !!
    svk

I would try to restore/recover without. Most likely, it will fail because you are using a permanent tablespace.

IMHO, just create a new TEMP_LMT as a temporary tablespace with tempfiles locally managed. Assign everybody to it. Drop the old TEMP ts. Recreate TEMP as temporary with tempfiles. Assign everybody to it. Don't ever worry about temp again.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks.

I agree. We actually have done that already. But, there was a lot of techinical "discussion" that wasn't exactly "friendly".

That why seeking opinion. What is techinically most correct. Irrespective of whether the problems have work-arounds.
    svk

LMT or DMT, backup for TEMP tableapce is not required.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Originally posted by SANJAY_G
    LMT or DMT, backup for TEMP tableapce is not required.
    Temporary tablespace, true. Permanent, not true.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Temporary tablespace, true. Permanent, not true.
    Right! But the poster has clearly mentioned his is TEMPORARY TEMP tablespace.
    Sanjay G.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Originally posted by SANJAY_G
    Right! But the poster has clearly mentioned his is TEMPORARY TEMP tablespace.
    ...but it has datafiles, not tempfiles.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    ...but it has datafiles, not tempfiles.
    Why to backup TEMP tablespace of type 'TEMPORARY' even though it has datafiles not tempfiles?
    Sanjay G.