DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The right recovery?

The right recovery?

I have made a restore of my database - and would just hear if it is the right way.

I created a database with the same name and SID. Afterwards I restored the controlfile from the production database.

After this I did make a "restore database" where I used the latest backupset - and all datafiles where restored

After this I did make a "alter database open resetlogs" - and the database where open.

But what I am not clearly understand is the "resetlogs" - what does "resetlogs" do ?
    - But the database should now be in the latest version, as I used the backup piece from yesterday .. right ?

were you using rman?

reset logs is used if you dont have the current online redo logs, so you haven't done a full recovery

Oh yes .. It is rman

I know without redologs I can not "go back" in time, but if I have restored datafiles, than the database is up-to-date as I have used yesterday backup piece ?

when u restore if u have not restored the redo log files, the SCN number of the datafiles and the current redo log file is different , by saying resetlogs u r rescynchronzing ur database to time zero...do a complete backup after opening using resetlogs, as all ur previous backups bcomes invalid.

Is it a good idea to make backup of redolog files by operating system along with the rman script every day - or how is it able to secure you have the latest redolog files?

RMAN by default archives ur current online redologs and backup those archive logs (if included in the script), thats y its not taking the redolog file backup.

RESETLOGS is used to tell Oracle that the data that currently resides in the online redo logs is no longer required for recovery. Like has been suggested before, it should become part of your recovery procedures to do a full backup as soon as reocvery is complete (using resetlogs).

Originally posted by Sally
    Is it a good idea to make backup of redolog files by operating system along with the rman script every day - or how is it able to secure you have the latest redolog files?
    The archivelogs are Oracle's way of "backing up" the online redo logs, the frequency is determined by the log switching - it's up to you to make sure thay get stored somewhere intelligent . . . . like on machine in a different building.

It doesn't make sense to backup the online redo logs, since any backup you have is immediately out of date!
    - If you lose them, then the archivelogs determine the point to which you can recover (followed by an OPEN RESETLOGS).
    - If you don't lose them, then you can recover completely (RESETLOGS is not required).

Yes - this is what I not understand. I have enabled archive logging and in my rman script I have within "backup database archivelog all;"

But how do I tell rman to use these archived archivelogs, as I have placed them in the same backup folder as on the server. Everytime I run the rman script two pieces are being made. 1 with datafiles and 1 with archivelogs

?

rman knows.

When you issue recover database if know where they should be and what to do with them