DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb Oracle client install question

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    How many of your developers have OEM quiz kid?
    I don't have a clue (I certanly haven't install anything on their computers, not my job), but I'd be extremely happy if all of them have had installed OEM for themself. Provided that they knew how to use OEM, at list the bits that are suited for their part of the job, ie query tuning for example. (I wouldn't care if they knew how to use the database administration part of the OEM or not, cause I wouldn't let them use it on my database anyway). I remember the days when my role was primarily as a developer - I couldn't imagine my work without the functionality of the OEM (I'm not sure it was called that way back then) that is now packed in the Tuning pack. So?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    I don't have a clue (I certanly haven't install anything on their computers, not my job), but I'd be extremely happy if all of them have had installed OEM for themself. Provided that they knew how to use OEM, at list the bits that are suited for their part of the job, ie query tuning for example. (I wouldn't care if they knew how to use the database administration part of the OEM or not, cause I wouldn't let them use it on my database anyway). I remember the days when my role was primarily as a developer - I couldn't imagine my work without the functionality of the OEM (I'm not sure it was called that way back then) that is now packed in the Tuning pack. So?
    Then riddle me this Sherlock, how are they going to use OEM without DBA rights on "your" database?

Please, cut it out, you are killing me here. You would be happy if all the developers had OEM!?
    You don't know how many have it!?
    What databases are you responsible for, please let us know the company.

I can understand wanting to bust my balls but don't let that temptation lead you into the ridiculous.

Last edited by Mr.Hanky; 01-12-2005 at 10:05 PM.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Then riddle me this Sherlock, how are they going to use OEM without DBA rights on "your" database?

Please, cut it out, you are killing me here. You would be happy if all the developers had OEM!?

I can understand wanting to bust my balls but don't let that temptation lead you into the ridiculous.

of course they'd need select any dictionary priv to connect through EM which is another can of worms
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

How about to connect to a development database? Nothing wrong with that.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by stmontgo
    of course they'd need select any dictionary priv to connect through EM which is another can of worms
    While I don't have DBA privleges or many system privileges, I should have enough privileges in the database to monitor my own process and to look at how things are sized. If I want something changed all I need to do is ask, and mostly they comply. My concern is to make sure that my code runs properly nothing else.

Hanky, please do not try to point out something that is obvious for a long time allready: you simply do not know much about Oracle database administration. Never heard of of a concept called PRTIVILEGES in Oracle database? It is much more granular than plainl usage of CONNECT, RESOURCE, DBA roles, you know! Read the stmontgo's remark and start from there...

And don't wory about "my databases" - I'm more than certain that they are much more secured and much better managed than any database you might ever have been responsible for. Read the slimdave's remark and start from there....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Mr. "Supermoderator"

I never claimed to be the all-knowing Oracle Guru, ever. I leave that job to guys like you. My job as the junior DBA and senior sh*t stirrer is to keep geniuses like you on your toes.

BUT, you are all grasping at straws here.
    Have you ever set up an ID to log on to OEM without DBA rights?

Development is ok huh? Well in my department development boxes should mirror production, how is that going to be possible if any schmuck developer can go in and alter/drop/add/truncate tables and objects whenever they want to?

I realize there is a strong desire to consistanly prove me wrong around here but this is a simple case of common sense. NO developer should have access to an ORACLE DATABASE MANAGEMENT TOOL that requires DBA rights to work properly. And no development is NOT ok, if you want to experiment on your own box at home then knock yourself out. We all know the OEM is overkill for tuning SQL, why is it that no one will admit it? I guess my confrontational nature brings out the worst advice in some of you.

Get Lecco, it is way more powerful for what you are trying to do, period.

Mr. "Supermoderator"

I never claimed to be the all-knowing Oracle Guru, ever. I leave that job to guys like you. My job as the junior DBA and senior sh*t stirrer is to keep geniuses like you on your toes.

Development is ok huh? Well in my department development boxes should mirror production, how is that going to be possible if any schmuck developer can go in and alter/drop/add/truncate tables and objects whenever they want to?

I realize there is a strong desire to consistanly prove me wrong around here but this is a simple case of common sense. NO developer should have access to an ORACLE DATABASE MANAGEMENT TOOL that requires DBA rights to work properly. And no development is NOT ok, if you want to experiment on your own box at home then knock yourself out. We all know the OEM is overkill for tuning SQL, why is it that no one will admit it? I guess my confrontational nature brings out the worst advice in some of you.

the point is you don't need dba rights to use oem

I have and as Davey said, you don't need dba rights to log into OEM. When I am in SQL Plus I can't create, modify or drop tables, even in my own schema. Why would that be different if I am using a different tool? With OEM I still can't do any of those things. But it will make it easier to look at my code. And no it isn't overkill. I have used it in the past, and maybe I am used to having it available.

I think you prove yourself wrong more than anyone else. If only you would quit putting your foot in your mouth. On second thought, keep it up. Regardless, I wasn't asking you for permission to install the tool.

I will look into it.

No, the point is that devlopers should not be using OEM.
    Technically you CAN use a hair dryer in the bathtub, doesn't mean it is a good idea. He does not have admin rights on his PC for a reason.
    Can you imagine the nightmare of having a team of decelopers all using OEM, click click click, oops....wha happened......let's call the DBA for a recovery.

Foot in my mouth huh, yeah ok whatever you say developer boy.
    You are just another frustrated developer that is dying to wear the Daddy pants.