DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb Oracle client install question

Dumb Oracle client install question

I have Oracle 9.2 installed on my Windows 2000 machine. I don't have the OEM tools installed. But I have the full CD for Oracle 9i Server. I also don't have Admin rights, since I am but a lowly developer. Is there a way to install the OEM tools without Admin privileges?

I could always ask the help desk, if I get really desperate, but I would rather do it myself. Especially since I have installed and configured Oracle hundreds of times.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like you'll have to get the PC Nazi's to bless it...
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Sounds like you'll have to get the PC Nazi's to bless it...
    You are probably correct. But I thought if I could sneak around them, then I would be in the clear. I can't imagine how OEM showed up on my machine, I thought it was locked down.

I assume the requirement relates to updating the registry, which might not be as important for a machine that already has the client installed, but lacks OEM.

That is an interesting scenario, have to try that one out some time. There is a difference between installing and updating. What you are doing is updating, so you may be able to perform the upgrade. The registry values for hkey/local machine/software/oracle is already there, so that's why it may work. OUI is really "dumb" when it comes to Windows.

Can you run Start>Run>gpedit.msc? The restriction there is "Prevent user installs" (not configured or enabled).

Originally posted by stecal
    That is an interesting scenario, have to try that one out some time. There is a difference between installing and updating. What you are doing is updating, so you may be able to perform the upgrade. The registry values for hkey/local machine/software/oracle is already there, so that's why it may work. OUI is really "dumb" when it comes to Windows.

Can you run Start>Run>gpedit.msc? The restriction there is "Prevent user installs" (not configured or enabled).
    I can't run the group policy edit. I enclosed the results. I was considering installing 9iSR2 at home with all of the options I want, loading it onto my mp3 player and bringing it to work where I can rename my Oracle Home directory and copy it over, thus giving me OEM, and the ability to go back to what I had before. And yes, OUI is dumb, I have faked it out before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The real question is why is a developer doing (or attempting to do) a DBA's job.
    Do you plan on logging into production with this?
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    The real question is why is a developer doing (or attempting to do) a DBA's job.

Do you plan on logging into production with this?
    I can log into production with SQL plus. I only want to use the OEM tools to tune PL/SQL code before it gets into production, and before it get system tested. Besides, I also have DBA skills.

Thanks for your concern.

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Installing client software on developer's PC being a DBA's job? Not in my book.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    Installing client software on developer's PC being a DBA's job? Not in my book.
    Installing OEM, a database management tool on a box that is clearly NOT supposed to have it installed is in my book!
    How many of your developers have OEM quiz kid?

Originally posted by gandolf989
    I can log into production with SQL plus. I only want to use the OEM tools to tune PL/SQL code before it gets into production, and before it get system tested. Besides, I also have DBA skills.

Thanks for your concern.
    If this is the case then you would do better to look ar Lecco or have your DBA help you tune the SQL. OEM for you purposes is way overkill.