DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU_COUNT and licensing (Windows box)

CPU_COUNT and licensing (Windows box)

I have a development box soon to go live. The Network Admins say it has 2 processors and thus is eligible for Standard Edition One Licensing metric (max 2 CPUs).

The CPU_COUNT ini param has been set during DB creation as 4. Indeed when I check the box (Windows 2003) it shows 4 CPUs in action in the memory tab in Task Manager.

Device Manager also shows 4 processors: 2 x Intel Xeon 2.5Ghz processors and 2 x 'Processors' using MS processr.sys drivers.

Are these 'real' CPUS? How does Oracle quantify the # of CPUs?

you can understand why I don't want to leap in ask Sales or Support about this.

How about taking off the lid and counting them?

What does "Admin Tools \ Computer Management \ . . . . \ System Summary" say?

It is my understanding that both Windows 2003 and Oracle show 4 CPUs when you physically only have 2 if they are those new fangled hyper-threading ones (like the new Xeon MP). I'm not a Windows guy however, so perhaps others might confirm this.

Originally posted by DaPi
    How about taking off the lid and counting them?]
    Was to be my last resort, and as the box is several miles away not one I want to do unless I have to!

What does "Admin Tools \ Computer Management \ . . . . \ System Summary" say?
    Don't have a System Summary tab, but Admin Tools \ Computer Management \ Device Manager \ Processors " shows 4 as I said in my original post.

I'm just confused by the different signs that Oracle and Windows tell me, versus what the Admins tell me.

Do you have any idea how Oracle would define the situation if we were audited? Would they go straight to CPU_COUNT in the params, would they trust what Windows told them, or would they open the box and count CPUs!

I think hacketta1 is right. In my box at home Task Manager etc tells me I have two processors, when I know full well I only have one!!

If you have a C++ compiler, have a look at this:

cpu counting

Surely Oracle would have to take the PHYSICAL number of processors, rather than what CPU_COUNT says.... If not, i'm screwed!!

That app shows that I have 2 physical processors, but that I have 2 logical processors per processor (which gives 4 logical processors).

My next question is: what the hell is a logical processor?

Originally posted by waitecj
    Hyper-threading
    Which Intel Xeons do, indeed, implement.

Question answered then. Thanks chaps.

Not so fast there. Oracle came out with a statement a couple months ago that Dual Core processors would be counted as two processors even though they are one physical processor. Best to call your Oracle Licensing weasel to verify lest you be audited.
    Jeff Hunter

Dual Core processors
    I reckon that would apply to the dual-dye CPUs you get on the HP 9000 PA-RISC platforms which I believe are 'sort of' physically two CPUs in one, but with a shared cache. But would it apply to hyper-threading? JMac, if you get an answer from Oracle about this I'd be interested to know what it is.