DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Install on HP-UX

Oracle Install on HP-UX

Hi all,

I am trying to install Oracle 9.2.1.0 on a hp ux box. I am having trouble installing it because it keeps asking me for a jdk home. Now we dont have jdk installed and nor do we want to install it. Are there any options i can deselect on the custom build to ensure that the GUI does NOT ask me for a jdk home??...

Any thoughts/comments greatly apprecaited!

Thanks,
    Chucks

Try metalink. Quoting from an oracle bod on metalink to someone with your exact question:

JDK is required even if you just install RDBMS.
    Anytime that Apache gets installed, the JDK location would be needed.
    Selecting even just the server install, would pull in Apache and so the JDKlocation would be needed.

Why can't you put jdk on?

Hi Bazza,

Thanks for that. After scouring metallink i am under the impression that JDK is required. However, my colleague (who is on holiday) told me before he left that he managed to install it without the need for entering the JDK home. I tried deselecting all the HTTP/Apache options and it still asked me for a JDK home. The only reason why we are not doing installing JDK is cause of time constraints!...Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
    Chucks.

Originally posted by Chucks_k
    Hi Bazza,

Thanks for that. After scouring metallink i am under the impression that JDK is required. However, my colleague (who is on holiday) told me before he left that he managed to install it without the need for entering the JDK home. I tried deselecting all the HTTP/Apache options and it still asked me for a JDK home. The only reason why we are not doing installing JDK is cause of time constraints!...Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
    Chucks.

sounds like it would be quicker to install the jdk then to mess about trying to find out why you need it.

Only takes a few mins - download the depot file from hp.com/java and use swinstall to put it in

Hi Bazza,

Thanks again,
    Chucks.
    Done a few installs on hp-ux myself recently, just the rdbms, net, jdbc and the development kit, and always had to specify the jdk home. Recommend you get the jdk home on.

Baz

Thanks for that bazza..

Looks like i will have to install it. Is it a big job? Never done it b4??

Thanks for that bazza..

Looks like i will have to install it. Is it a big job? Never done it b4??
    Neither have I!! I tend to leave kind of stuff for our Sysadmin chaps. From what Davey says, it should be fairly straight forward though.

Baz