DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I am a beginner. Please HELP ME!

Question

Hello! everybody. I am currently studying the pl/sql on OCP DBA track, but I am having a hard time to connect the local database table(EMP,DEPT,..) to pl/sql so i can practice pl/sql using those tables. it may be an easy question ,but i really couldn't get it. i am looking forward to hear any response. Thank you.

Best regards jung

p.s i am using the personal oracle 8i
    :confused:

Have to install Oracle Server.

I guess you use Oracle Lite 8i.
    I was tring to do that also, but is not the seem stuff with Oracle Server.
    With Oracle Lite you connect a ODBC database, so check in your documentation, instead connect scott/tiger@mydatabase
    you will have scott/tiger@ODBC:SOMETING I do not remember exacly. But is not a good ideea, if you prepare
    becoming a DBA, forget Oracle Lite, because if you take a look into %oraclehome%bin directory you will see there are missing files like SVRMGRL.EXE, ORADIM.EXE, RMAN, and other, so you can not practice any DBA stuff.

Dmarian

Talking

Thank you for reply me. Actually, I am using both personal oracle 8i on Win98 and Oracle 8i enterprise version on Win NT(this one also giving me problem when i trying to log in OEM).
    So, please reply me if you have used the personal oracle 8i on win98 or oracle 8i enterprise on Win NT.

Thank you again. :)

Best regards jung

P.S I am log in pl/sql as name:system , password:manager.
    , and if i open demobld in Bin dir, it works but not 100%
    :confused:

Hi jung,
    I use Oracle 8i Release 8.1.5.0

SQL> select banner from v$version;

BANNER
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Oracle8i Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
    PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
    CORE Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
    TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
    NLSRTL Version 3.4.0.0.0 - Production

SQL>
    I guess Oracle Entreprise must be more complete that this one, because when I try to practice incremental backups with RMAN, I have a error message that said:
    RMAN>06180:incremental backups require Oracle8 Entreprise edition.

So, your software is the most complete.

The connection with OEM must be another story. I guess you try to log like sysdba and you do not have set a repository. Even if you are not log like sysdba, and you are log like NORMAL user, you have access to most of application like storage manager, user manager, just instance manager work partially, you can see instance settings but you can not change them.
    To log like sysdba you must create a repository. For this you better create another database, where OEM will install the repository. It's normal. If you shut down a database remotely, how you will start up after? So OEM work with Inteligent Agent that are already installed on both sides(client-server) so you can work remotely with instance settings on a remote OEM server. But just to get DBA OCP, you do not need to practice OEM like sysdba, just normal user is enough. Check Network Administration chapter, if you are problem with listeners, with connection in general, maybe you better practice this exam right now. For start practice, we have to install the software and set up connections, this should be the first exam to prepare.

hi jung,
    you can do either of the things
    mail me directly so that i will mail you back and help you to solve your problem or try contacting me through yahoo or icq

HTH

vinayak
    vinayak